Unattended Secret: Reducing Size Of Source

don't use that, it causes file copy errors in text-mode setup... but since you use a method that skips that part completely then it probably doesn't matter?

Here's the syntax I use, it doesn't force all files/folders to go into UPPERCASE:

CDIMAGE.EXE -lWXPFPP_EN -t12/31/2002,12:00:00 -h -j1 -m -bxpboot.img C:\XPCD C:\WXPFPP_EN.ISO

OK...gosh, this menu of yours works great! I made a CD that installs XP, but also has a utility to change or blank passwords...It was mentioned on "The Screen Savers" on TechTV...

If anyone wants it, go here: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Very useful utility! Pick the floppy version because it is a BIN file...Works great! :)

hey gosh, great explanation and process...haven't tried it yet, but i will soon...

just out of curiousity...can't you just copy the winnt32.exe file to the i386 folder and then at some point during the setup, or after it si done, run the winnt32 /cmdcons and let it install the recovery console for you so you have a boot menu with xp and the recovery console there?. i run my system at home like this and it is very handy. no need to find a cd and boot from it when your system goes weird...just boot and pick the recovery console option.

just curious if there is a way to make this work...

thanks

xtac

Windows File Protection

see this: SFC_OS.DL_ HACKED !, Come and get it !

and don't forget the registry key

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

:Disable Windows File Protection

; dword:00000000 = enabled

; dword:00000001 = disabled, prompt at boot to re-enable

; dword:00000002 = disabled at next boot only, no prompt to re-enable

; dword:00000004 = enabled, with popups disabled

; ffffff9d - for completely disabled

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d

"SfcQuota"=dword:ffffffff

more info Link

I have a couple of quick questions to ask. Btw, huge thx to Aaron and Gosh for those tutorials. Even a noob like me was able to make a unattended XP cd... Wich is quite remarkable since I never did a batch file in my life before that...

Ok! Here goes: I just slipstreamed the new rollup like Aaron showed and it's working a-1.

Now, I would like to do the "slimfast" trick on my cd and then add the other hotfixes and some appz. I would like to know if I proceed like this (just to be sure):

1) Reduce the size of my "new" rollup CD with Gosh method.

2) Then make a $oem$ folder with some other hotfixes and appz, creating a new winnt.sif file in the process, but without touching the dosnet.inf this time.

Is this correct?

Thx!

Windows File Protection

see this: SFC_OS.DL_ HACKED !, Come and get it !

and don't forget the registry  key

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

:Disable Windows File Protection

; dword:00000000 = enabled

; dword:00000001 = disabled, prompt at boot to re-enable

; dword:00000002 = disabled at next boot only, no prompt to re-enable

; dword:00000004 = enabled, with popups disabled

; ffffff9d - for completely disabled

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d

"SfcQuota"=dword:ffffffff

more info Link

OK BUT...WHERE MUST I PUT SCRIPT FOR .REG FILE?BECAUSE AT FIRT RESTART OF UNATTENDED XP SETUP,A "WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION" MESSAGE APPEAR AND XP BEGIN TO INSTALL ALL THE SOFTWARE UNDER SECTION [GuiRunOnce] IN WINTNT.SIF!!!

@ Beppe

XP/2k/2003 have hidden settings for Encryption and System file protection. You could put the value as such in your unattend file:

[systemFileProtection]

SFCQuota=0

SFCDisable=ffffff9d

That disables simple file sharing and doesn't make a dllcache folder

-gosh

So far i've shown how to reduce size of i386 folder, make a multi-os cd, and include xp and winpe on the same cd here. The steps i've already shown can be applied to make much more fancy, and complicated cd's. Let's take the cd process further and make a cd with:

winxp home

winxp pro

win2k pro sp2

win2k server sp2

win2k advserver sp2

(and win2k datacenter if it really makes you happy)

Back when xp came out i made a cd called XP2K that had all these os' on a 700 meg cd, all unattended. These instructions can be applied to the latest service packs, but when i originally made the cd i used the original versions of xp and win2k with sp2 slipstreamed.

First, follow my previous directions to make a cd with XP Pro on it. You should have VOLx folders for the boot files, and XP in the WinXPPro folder. On the root of the cd should be the ident files - win51, win51ip, win51ic, etc.

Next, we're gonna add xp home to the cd. Follow the same directions to put xp home on the cd.

1 - run winnt32.exe /noreboot, and make sure under Advanced Options "make local source" is checked or grayed out.

2 - rename c:\$Win_NT$.~LS\ to c:\XPHome

3 - rename the c:\$Win_NT$.~bt\ folder to HOM1

4 - delete the size.sif file in the XPHome folder

5 - Hex c:\HOM1\setupldr.bin, replace i386 with HOM1 (all capital letters) 4 times

6 - Edit c:\HOM1\txtsetup.sif and change SetupSourcePath to \XPHome\

SetupSourcePath = "\XPHome\"
7 - Delete any unneeded files in the c:\HOM1\ folder such as winnt.sif, migrate.inf, bootsect.dat. If you want to do an unattended install, put your unattend file as winnt.sif into the c:\HOM1\ folder

8 - Now make the boot sector. If you still have VOL1.DAT copy it as HOM1.DAT, and hex it and change VOL1 to HOM1, such as:

SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINHOM1

Now let's copy the c:\XPHome and c:\HOM1 folders to our xp install source. On our cd now we should have the following folders:

HOM1

VOL1

VOL2 (optional)

VOL3 (optional)

WinXPPro

XPHome

Now we're gonna add win2k to the cd. Follow the 8 steps above for win2k pro, win2k server, win2k adv server. Just replace XPHome and HOM1 with the following table:

Rename the c:\$WIN_NT$\~LS\ folder to the following:

win2k pro = Win2kPro

win2k serv = Win2kSrv

win2k adv srv = Win2kAds

Rename the c:\$WIN_NT$\~BT\ folder to the following:

win2k pro = PRO1, PRO2, PRO3, etc

win2k serv = SRV1, SRV2, SRV3, etc

win2k adv srv = ADS1, ADS2, ADS3, etc

So now your cd should have the following folders:

PRO1

SRV1

ADS1

HOM1

VOL1

VOL2 (optional)

VOL3 (optional)

WinXPPro

XPHome

Win2kPro

Win2kSrv

Win2kAds

Now we need to add the cd idents and other files. On the root of the cd, make sure you have the following:

WIN51

WIN51IP

WIN51IC

WIN51IP.SP1 (only if using sp1)

WIN51IC.SP1 (only if using sp1)

SPNOTES.HTM

CDROM_IA.5

CDROM_IP.5

CDROM_IS.5

CDROM_NT.5

CDROMSP2.TST

DISKEMU.CMD

LOADER.BIN

DISKEM1X.BIN

DELOAD.BIN

VOL1.DAT

VOL2.DAT (optional)

VOL3.DAT (optional)

HOM1.DAT

PRO1.DAT

SRV1.DAT

ADS1.DAT

Now copy the following files to the XPHome, WinXPPro, Win2kPro, Win2kSrv, Win2kAds folders:

WIN51

WIN51IP

WIN51IC

WIN51IP.SP1 (only if using sp1)

WIN51IC.SP1 (only if using sp1)

SPNOTES.HTM

CDROM_IA.5

CDROM_IP.5

CDROM_IS.5

CDROM_NT.5

CDROMSP2.TST

That's it. You now have a bootable cd with xp home, xp pro, win2k pro, win2k server, win2k adv server. You should have around 40 megs to add other stuff such as software.

-gosh

When trying to run this:

winnt32.exe /noreboot

from the Windows 2000 CD, I get an error saying that I cannot install from this version of Windows (Windows XP Professional).

Is there a way around this or must I install Windows 98 or something like that so I can install?