Good Firewall for vista

For anti virus, stick with Avast.

Vista's Firewall is said to be far better than that of Windows XP (because it blocks incoming and outgoing). Comodo will probably be Vista compatible.

When you say Vistas firewall do you mean the windows firewall on here?

Comodo any good? I could ditch avast for that.

Yes, Vista's firewall is Window's Firewall.

Comodo is another firewall, not anti-virus (though they make an anti virus too).

• 1 month later...

I can't remember where I saw this but on some site reviewing firewalls, it mentioned you can actually install it in compatibility mode and it will work. I use COMODO Firewall and Antivirus on XP ever since I heard of it but haven't tried it on Vista yet. I'll be testing it soon.

Both are free.

One thing to think about is will Comodo firewall (XP version) disable Windows Firewall? That might be an issue because of the changes in Vista.

Edited by spacesurfer

For AV i recommend Kaspersky and for firewall im using kaspersky anti-hacker and its very good.

though it would be better if i could use Jetico but i tried the beta ver2 and it had so many bugs.the final ver is out but havnt tried it yet.

I can't seem to figure out how to use Jetico. Once installed, I couldn't browse the internet. I tried so many options to let IE explore by adding IE. I even opened everything for internet and still no go.

Jetico is too complicated to configure for me. I had to go back to Comodo. Their help file didn't help either.

I thought Vista was supposed to have a 2 way firewall. I cannot find the way to enable the outgoing part of it in Vista Business. :unsure:

If you open the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" icon in the Control Panel, you should see the "Inbound rules" and "Outbound rules" sections of the MMC, which allow you to set just that - inbound and outbound rules.

I don't see the Advanced Part nor the outbound rules. Its not in my control panel (Business Version), just a regular Windows Firewall with an exceptions list. :hello:

Hmm... Assuming this wasn't an upgrade to XP, I need to do some research.

I have the upgrade version of Business, but I clean installed it. I actually just backed up and used the full/then upgrade to install it clean to my freshly formatted disk. No way I would do an actual upgrade, no matter how good XP was running.(which it was, lol) :hello:

Hope that helps some. :thumbup