Need a new PSU for a set of processors

bonestonne

Ok, i've been searching for a new PSU that i'm going to need, but i can't find any that match my requirements for the server i have.

what i really need is 20pin ATX, at least 6 molex connectors [i can get splitters if needed] but it really needs to have the 6Pin AUX connector. without the 6pin AUX connector my board will not start. its not the PCI-E 6 pin, its the older one with 3 ground, 3v+, 3v-, and 5v..at least i'm pretty sure its that.

it absolutely has to be 350W or more...

if anyone can find one it would be much appreciated, as for the price, it just has to be like 50 or less if possible, but i'll take a look at any that are found.

yes it is. i've been reading into older stuff about the board, its recommended to have no less than 350W for the 550Mhz versions and higher, but with lower clocked processors, a good 300W will work fine. i've been getting by with the 300 and have no complaints, but i'm looking into an upgrade for it [700Mhz CPU, 2M L2cache].

i'll look into the PSU about the 6pin AUX...in the picture [and being stressed out and dyslexic right now] i think i saw that connector, but only managed to count 5 holes.

if anyone is familiar with an adapter for a 6pin AUX cable, that would work too...

You can't really count the "holes" because of the way the connector is. It's more of the old AT style power connector than it is a pinned connector.

I had a dual Socket 370 SuperMicro board (with a pair of PIII-S 1.4's) that required that power connector as well. I believe the power supply I had in that box was a 580W Enermax.

ooh ok...

now i'm split between several different things.

it turns out that the second 512MB stick of ram i wanted was stolen as the sellers apartment was robbed...i'm being refunded the roughly $27 and thats making me wonder what i should do. my birthday is at the end of the month, and i'll be getting maybe $100...so by april i'll have maybe around $140 or so.

what do you think i'd be better off doing?

1) i could find a 2+GHz AMD Athlon XP on ebay, and buy a scythe katana or something similar to it, and get my AMD board running after getting some DDR RAM.

2) buying the better PSU and trying out PIII Xeon 700MHz processors on my server. [i refer to it as a server because its definately no PC].

right now i'm split between getting processors with a high L2 cache, or having a higher clock rate and FSB. if i got the AMD, it would replace my Pentium 4 system until the summer, when i could get another case and keep it in school for working there.

i use the server for recording music, the AMD would be taking over that in terms of portability, as i would take the AMD system around instead of the server then.

right now having bronchitis and a load of stress i don't want to pick the wrong one and be set back, so opinions will help.

well, tomorrow i'll be giving my PII Xeons a beating...i hope the don't give up on me...they'll record my 3 hour radio show, which was why i want the higher speed, higher cache processors for it. however, the lack of RAM is not helping, as the $10 steals i got are so hard to find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817163018

^ thats the PSU i'm aiming for. i ordered a pair of 700Mhz 100mhz FSB 2M L2 cache last night to replace the 450/100/512k processors, which should arrive sometime this coming week.

the PSU is 580W, $30, and has everything i need and its all shown. along with having what i need, its got good reviews.

the current 300W thats powering that computer will replace the 480W thats in here right now, because the 480W will be used to power the AMD system i hope to finish by the end of the year.

i was aiming to stay away from lighting, but i think i can take red in this case. i'll also try to remove the fan guards, as i don't stick my hand in my case while the computers on, and it'll help airflow.

i went through a lot of PSUs to find that one, i may have looked at it at first and just thought it was unnessecary at the time. i was originally thinking of getting an Apevia, however the reviews they got were less than appealing, and this one is more powerful with better reviews, and will definately support the 900/100/2M if i ever get far enough as to get a pair of those and the BIOS that allows me to use them.

Ouch...I wouldn't trust my dual Xeon setup to a power supply like that. There's a reason it's only $30. :)

See my reply in the other thread about your hot swappable 600W setup.

EDIT: Oh man...did you read any on the reviews of that power supply. More than half of them complained about the thing burning...literally...out. Check this quote:

Cons: The first one that I got lasted about 45 minutes. The 120mm fan was grinding against the fan shield. RMAed that one, and tried again. The second powered up, popped loudly, and burned out the Motherboard on its way out. This is the worst power supply that I have run in the last 10 years.
Edited by nmX.Memnoch