ie7 handling...t-13 installation method

sabregreen

What are the downsides to installing with t-13 method over slipstreaming or first logon. I have a volume licensed copy so t-13 is possible. I want to know if t-13 method will fail if no internet connection is detected like network adapter not found for first logon. I want the method that won't fail regardless and will take registry tweaks like phishingfilter and whatnot. Thanks!

The T-13 installation is the best method I'd say because there are no "serious" issues with it, except that it may take a little longer to install compared to the installation at first GUI logon.

I haven't actually checked yet if some of the registry tweaks fail with that method but I think they do. I'm beginning to suspect that they fail when that small Windows Update box in the top left corner at GUI logon which does the final internal updates to IE among other things, is doing updates for IE7. The final internal updates to IE occur at these times:

- when slipstreaming: at first GUI logon

- when using the T-13 method: at first GUI logon

- when using the first GUI logon method: after the second reboot

The registry tweaks that you put in HFGUIRUNONCE are always executed at first GUI logon, and during my testing they never failed using the last option so I'm starting to believe that there's a conflict if the final internal updates that Windows does at first GUI logon are for IE7. If you let HFSLIP instruct Windows setup to install IE7 at first GUI logon (the default), then the Windows Update box at first GUI logon doesn't update IE; it is deliberately postponed by the IE7 installer, so there's no conflict there.

But that's just a theory...

So how would you apply ie7 reg tweaks correctly ? If I understand what you said correctly, with first gui logon, the tweaks should take ? Thanks for the speedy and thorough response I appreciate it. I use this to deploy on dozens of computers. I work in a school district.

@sabregreen, I advise you to read the introduction screens to HFSLIP more closely. The authors (TommyP and Tomcat76) do not provide support for HFSLIP in a corporate environment. As you will see there as well as in the log file generated after each run, HFSLIP is for personal use only!

HFSLIP can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes.

I understand that. I only use the program for a specific need for windows 2000. This XP question is for the computers that I own personally. We don't have licenses for windows xp at our school district. No need for it.

So how would you apply ie7 reg tweaks correctly ? If I understand what you said correctly, with first gui logon, the tweaks should take ?
Yes. Using the default first GUI logon method for IE7 integration, all IE7 registry tweaks should take.