Windows 98se and PCI-e video cards

98 Guy

I've downloaded the modded 81.98 Win95/98/Me driver and sure it runs and sure my device manager has the correct card listed under the display adapter with no conflicts, but I've yet to get a properly functioning PCI-e card running on a new Asrock motherboard (it has both an AGP and PCI-e).

The latest try was an Asus EN7300GT PCI-e card. I don't think it has Turbo Cache.

When swapping out an NV6200 AGP card with the Asus PCI-e card, windows starts and identifies the new card, seems to find the driver ok, and tells me to restart, which I do.

But when the screen goes black right after the win-98 splash screen, it stays black and then the monitor goes into power-down mode. They keyboard is still responsive (numlock led, etc) but alt-f4 does nothing. The only thing I can do is reset or power-down and either pull the card or start in safe mode. If I start windows in logging mode, these are the last few lines of the bootlog.txt file:

LoadStart = DISPLAY.drv

LoadSuccess = DISPLAY.drv

LoadStart = NVARCH16.DLL

LoadSuccess = NVARCH16.DLL

InitDone = DISPLAY

Init = Display Resources

And that's where it ends.

Do I need to run some sort of driver-cleaner to remove the previous install of the AGP drivers?

Who has gotten a PCI-e NVidia card to work properly on win-98?

What drivers?

What appears in your device manager list regarding the pci-e bus?

Something interesting you can read on intel's site:

Operating System/Application Compatibility
------------------------------------------
There is no Operating System impact that is foreseen as the change in design is in the Physical Layer. Any future improvement of PCI Express will occur in the Physical Layer. Compatibility with the PCI addressing model (a load-store architecture with a flat address space) is maintained to ensure that all existing applications and drivers operate unchanged. PCI Express configuration uses standard mechanisms as defined in the PCI Plug-and-Play specification. The software layers will generate read and write requests that are transported by the transaction layer to the I/O devices using a packet-based, split-transaction protocol.

PCI Express Compatibility
-------------------------
PCI Express maintains backward compatibility with PCI to ensure that all existing applications and drivers operate unchanged. The PCI configuration space and the programmability of I/O devices are key concepts that are unchanged within the PCI Express Architecture; in fact, all operating systems should be able to boot without modification on a PCI Express-based platform. The run-time software model supported by PCI is a load-store, shared memory model - this is maintained within the PCI Express Architecture in order to enable existing software to execute unchanged. The changes implemented in the PCI Express architecture affect the Physical layer only.

The problem is that your 7300GT is already not supported officially on AGP.

If you want to clean old drivers, try the drivers tools here or Driver Cleaner

Personnaly my ATI 800GT is seen as two standard VGA PCI graphic cards (it has VGA + DDVI).

I've never tried to install drivers since I also have an AGP card in my box.

If you have an additional PC around, use some RemoteDesktop-like program ( RAdmin, etc.) to control your system from the other PC, and see if Windows is running fine behind that black screen. If it does, try to tweak your driver/desktop settings like refresh frequency, resolution, etc.

If your card has TV-out, you could try it too to see if you get any picture on a standart TV.

HTH

I've downloaded the modded 81.98 Win95/98/Me driver and sure it runs and sure my device manager has the correct card listed under the display adapter with no conflicts, but I've yet to get a properly functioning PCI-e card running on a new Asrock motherboard (it has both an AGP and PCI-e).

The latest try was an Asus EN7300GT PCI-e card. I don't think it has Turbo Cache.

When swapping out an NV6200 AGP card with the Asus PCI-e card, windows starts and identifies the new card, seems to find the driver ok, and tells me to restart, which I do.

But when the screen goes black right after the win-98 splash screen, it stays black and then the monitor goes into power-down mode. They keyboard is still responsive (numlock led, etc) but alt-f4 does nothing. The only thing I can do is reset or power-down and either pull the card or start in safe mode. If I start windows in logging mode, these are the last few lines of the bootlog.txt file:

LoadStart = DISPLAY.drv

LoadSuccess = DISPLAY.drv

LoadStart = NVARCH16.DLL

LoadSuccess = NVARCH16.DLL

InitDone = DISPLAY

Init = Display Resources

And that's where it ends.

Do I need to run some sort of driver-cleaner to remove the previous install of the AGP drivers?

Who has gotten a PCI-e NVidia card to work properly on win-98?

What drivers?

What appears in your device manager list regarding the pci-e bus?

Try unofficial nVidia drivershttp://windows98.ic.cz/vga/fw9x8216.zip, install with .inf files(!) - nvaml.inf , NOT with EXE file (!!!). (NVIDIA&DEV_0393.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and NVIDIA&DEV_0395.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT).