Problems with WMP9 and Q822603 Installation

Hello, I install WMP9 and Q822603 (USB update) during my unattended setup. The problem is that Windows refuses to recognize them as being installed when I run WindowsUpdate. The funny thing is that if you run WMP, it is indeed WMP9. Likewise for 822603. If you check the driver versions in device manager, the USB devices are using the newer drivers from the hotfix. I've tried installing both from both cmdlines.txt and from a batch file called during GuiRunOnce and both to no avail.

Has anybody else had these problems and figured out how to solve them?

I noticed something up with as well, but have not had the time to check it out. I install WMP with MM2 in a package, and have no problem with that one.

Last time I had a similar problem, it had to do with the registry, and that when the package was installed without the uninstall option (/n I think) it did not report as installed. I attempted to install without the switch, both from the command prompt, and from windows update, and though the installation did not complain, there was never the uninstall option added to the control panel. For this reason I could never actually uninstall to install over, and when installing over it see's that the files are up to date, so does not gracefully exit the installation procedure.

What I would try (will try?) is to install with no switches and see if it is no longer listed in Windows Update, uninstall and see if it comes back, and then track down the file and reg changes, add them little by little, and see at which point Windows Update thinks the files are OK. Please post any progress.

@Ypsos: MS recommends that .msi files be run from GuiRunOnce (then again, what do they know ...) I am interested in the link, though. An MSI to EXE would be really great.

I actually did trying exporting the keys from a good installation, and it actually worked one time. However, it doesn't seem to be working anymore. I wonder if it has to do with the installation date. One of the DWORD values is in the install date. Obviously if you use a static key, it'll eventually say the hotfix was installed before the OS was installed in the first place :)

I'll try using the MM/WMP9 combo package (since I'm doing both anyway) and see how that goes for that.

Also, I use the /Q /U /Z switches when installing, if that helps. I don't think 822603 is dependent on having an uninstall key in the registry because I did try removing that key on a system where WindowsUpdate say 822603 as installed and it still said it was installed after removing the key.

I wanted no /n switch so I could uninstall in order to reinstall. There is also a "HotFix' or "Update" key in the registry that lists hotfixes, and is used by QFECHECK. You could also try that or even better HFNetChk and see what they report. Sounds like you were really close, though, if you got it once ... I'm hoping you can save me figuring out this one. You can also look at the inf file extracted from the hotfix, and there are sometimes clues there.

The WMP9_MM2 is good 'cause it's easy and clean. no switches.

@ GreenMachine

Maybe......

TOTAL COMMANDER 5.51

Home

DOWNLOAD Link

plugin:

MSI-Plus Plugin for browsing and extracting from .msi (microsoft installer) archives. Features:

- Can Pack/Unpack tables and streams in MSI files.

- Can show Preview of dialogs included in MSI.

- Remove/add tables from/to msi files.

Link

try in Google;

msi, unpacker

decompile

reverse engineering

Wise

MSI to WSI Conversion Wizard

Protools

ProgrammerTools

@ GreenMachine

Maybe......

plugin:

MSI-Plus  Plugin for browsing and extracting from .msi (microsoft installer) archives. Features:

plugin:

MSI-Plus Plugin for browsing and extracting from .msi (microsoft installer) archives. Features:

this one works:

Link

Thanks for the links, I'll look a little later. A repackager for the DotNet and MDAC executable, that could upack the single installer, and call it with the proper switches would suit my needs. I could then call these files from CMDLINES.TXT or SVCPACK.INF without the need for quotes i the switches (it don't like that). I would also like to get inside the installers to modify or override the installation paths.

Regarding the original topic of this thread, as best I can tell, the installer either doesn't completely copy the needed files or it doesn't write the needed registry entries for 822603. Looking the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates key only shows one file (usbhcdi.sys) as having been copied rather than the 4 it's supposed to copy. A cursory search didn't turn up the missing files on the hard drive, either.

The one problem is that I did the search with VirtualPC, so I'm not sure if it's indicative of a VPC install or a Windows install in general since VPC doesn't have USB support...

Ok, here's my findings on this topic..

I've had no trouble at all with WMP9 install, I run it from a batch called by the GUI RUN ONCE section of my setup, as when I installed it from CMDLINES.txt part of the setup I got a message about system restore not being installed...

It installs and runs fine and Windows Update doesn't say theres any probs with WMP9.

As for 822603...

I never had a problem with this in a real install, but on VPC it always says it's not installed.. After the last reboot Windows Update says it needs installed, so I told it to do it.. but after the restart, it STILL says it's not installed....

The fact it's doing this even through the windows update suggests to me that it may not be the unattended that's failing to install it on VPC, it seems to be that VPC just doesn't support that patch, and thats that...[iMHO]

Cheers..

Sounds viable. Especially if, as RyanVM (RyanVPC?) says, VPC does not support the usb. That would also explain why all the files where not updated, as they were never installed to be updated in the first place. If WUP is looking for either the files, or the corresponding registry entries, it will fail. Next step is to compare the VPC and "Real" registries, and see if more than one of the updated files are there.

As for that WMP error, I've seen it, and that is why I went to the WMP & MM2 setup, which is both silent and switchless. I saw that AaronXP mentioned something about a /DISABLESYSTEMRESTORE switch (DON'T quote me on that ...)

Sounds viable. Especially if, as RyanVM (RyanVPC?) says, VPC does not support the usb. That would also explain why all the files where not updated, as they were never installed to be updated in the first place. If WUP is looking for either the files, or the corresponding registry entries, it will fail. Next step is to compare the VPC and "Real" registries, and see if more than one of the updated files are there.

As for that WMP error, I've seen it, and that is why I went to the WMP & MM2 setup, which is both silent and switchless. I saw that AaronXP mentioned something about a /DISABLESYSTEMRESTORE switch (DON'T quote me on that ...)

OK, so it looks like we've nailed down the USB problem. :)

And yes, my username is correct. Based on my last name :rolleyes: