Vista Install Problem

ben100014

Hi, I recently tried to upgrade XP Pro to Windows Vista X86 (32 bit) business edition. I clicked on the Install Now button and it said please wait. After entering the Key, a error message stated that ACPI not found.. The XP Device Mgr shows ACPI enabled and working. ACPI is enabled in the Bios as well. I have heard that the HAL may not have ACPI enabled. The MB has the latest Bios that I can find.

I also saw somewhere to try to do a "clean" install without the Install Key but don't activate. Then do the upgrade install over the unactivated Vista. I am wondering if this will keep my installed applications in the Registry? . I do not know what to do. Please help, I am just a teenager. :unsure:

Specs:

Motherboard: VIA K7VTA3

Video card:PNY tech GeForce 6600 STD AGP 256MB

Hard drive Hitachi Desktar 160GB

Memorex DVD/CD writer/reader/burner

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 1.91Ghz

1GB of Memorex RAM

Edited by ben100014

I also saw somewhere to try to do a "clean" install without the Install Key but don't activate. Then do the upgrade install over the unactivated Vista. I am wondering if this will keep my installed applications in the Registry? . I do not know what to do. Please help, I am just a teenager. :unsure:

This question prob been answered a million times (just do search)

But here's my version

Clean install will not keep past installed reg. (even if you tell it not to delete the old window's files). All apps need to be reinstalled.

If you do clean install, you upgrade right away... then install your software, or activate first. (I would active and back up the OS if you have the ability to do a full system backup)

If you have any important data... do back it up in another location (external, dvd... etc... the pain of data loss!)