Am I not the Administrator?

celtish

I was surprised to find that when I tried to open certain files e.g. Users and Passwords in Control Panel I was refused saying that the 'administrator' had restricted access.

I am a one-user machine (Win98SE) and don't understand this. How do I put this 'administrator' in his place?

There is at least one virus that disables all possible actions on a PC, such as accessing Regedit. If you can't access Regedit anymore, you could use "ITweakU" to reset the restriction and then remove other Policies in the registry editor.

• 1 month later...

This is a very strange problem and I have discovered that it is erratic, it comes and goes. I can now get in to Passwords and Users (none but myself, in fact) but I later had certain access problems with CleanSweep - see separate thread - which have now been resolved.

At present the problem crops up with Windows Update which now brings up either (1) an 'Administrators only' page or (2) a page claiming that I am on a V6 machine.

Apart from what has been mentioned above everything else including RegEdit is perfectly functional and there are no viruses, trojans, or whatever. :wacko:

Edited by plonkeroo

Problem with WinUP's Administrator's only page is a different issue than actual Administrator permision levels as message suggests that you have issues with. They are real issues even with 98.

You ARE on a Network because you can log off of it, see the 2nd item above the START button. Also look in Control Panel for Network applet and notice that you must have at least a Windows Login entry, and often even more 'network' stuff installed to have desired services. Once you have a network, you also have an administrator and poledit.exe or some other app to modify administrator/user privileges. And of course, NT administrator permissons were done much better than on the 9x platform.

The above is 'standard' diatribe - I do not claim to understand it. THAT's how confusing the 98 permissions issue is for me. But it's still not your fault that MS decides to then use a default error web page that claims you need 'special' permissions from somebody else who shall forever remain unknown. That blame belongs solely to MS, sorry you ever had to see it.

WinUP site for 98 is resolutely broken and has been since 02/22/07 at 5 PM or some such (same date/time as broken redirect.js file. {I'm a WinUp tech and I'd like to buy a clue now, can I?}). Sometimes you get in, sometimes you don't. Since it IS broken, you must not believe anything you see while you attempt to use it like the administrator's only page. It's just a generic error page, falsely representing much more intelligence/logic than is actually used to generate the page itself. There is no real logic or 'test' going on behind that page showing up, although there COULD be according to this:

Administrators only

That page is also well known to show up until you have installed the WinUP ActiveX Controls and are running at least IE 5.01 as well. As I've said, most of the time when you see that page, it's just a generic error indicator.

You ARE on a Network because you can log off of it, see the 2nd item above the START button. Also look in Control Panel for Network applet and notice that you must have at least a Windows Login entry, and often even more 'network' stuff installed to have desired services. Once you have a network, you also have an administrator and poledit.exe or some other app to modify administrator/user privileges. And of course, NT administrator permissons were done much better than on the 9x platform.......

Noted. In control panel 'Network' I have Client for Windows and Windows Family Logon. Don't really understand the difference between the two. I also have Speedtouch broadband and Dialup and Dialup with VNP support. (Recall that I am a single-user without a LAN)

WinUP site for 98 is resolutely broken and has been since 02/22/07 ... and ... since it IS broken, you must not believe anything you see while you attempt to use it like the administrator's only page. It's just a generic error page ... there is no real logic or 'test' going on behind that page showing up, although there COULD be according to this:

Administrators only

Unfortunately that link wasn't helpful - Microsoft don't want to know about Win9x anymore!

...that page is also well known to show up until you have installed the WinUP ActiveX Controls and are running at least IE 5.01 as well...

I'm running DirectX (April 2007) and IE6.

NOW HERE'S THE THING ...

Since M$ has disowned WinUpdate the time has come for some Einstein on this forum to kick off an unofficial WinUpdate! Any takers.....

In my recent experience, it seems they have abandoned WU for XPSP2 as well. Could not get anything at all out of it. Catastrophic man ! (I'll post some screenshots of all the errors and IE crashes I got on that site with a fresh XPSP2 install some day if I can be arsed to upload them.) So I can just guess what WU for 98SE/ME might be at the moment, lol.