PC hangs during post boot at RAM check.

MSNwar

This machine has always had its problems. It presently hangs (stops dead) when the RAM is being checked by the BIOS. Tomorrow I will replace the RAM. If it still hangs I am going to flash the BIOS. I have a replacement board (same make and model) and can swap them out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

MSNwar - The Fat Man.

[b:9a2e5211fe]MSNwar[/b:9a2e5211fe] - if i catch you before you do this try to do this really quick and see if it helps. I had the same promblem but it was self inflicted. If you have 2 dimms pull them out and try to reseat them. Also try to swap slots. It worked for me becuase they were not seated right.

-XPerties

XPerties, The RAM ( One Stick) was seated correctly and in the first bank. Get this though...while I was pondering, the owner abruptly switched the power off and then immediately switched it back on again. I informed him that this could have damaged the power supply which is an ATX power supply. He said he has been doing this frequently for about a year. I think he has damaged the power supply? Tomorrow we are going to swap the motherboard and see what happens.

Also, the CPU is a P3 500 and the screen reads P3 233. When the PC did boot up normally it would read the correct CPU speed of P3 500. If I remember correctly, a CPU that does not receive the proper regulated amount of power will default to the lowest or safest setting. This CPU has never been overclocked by the way. I am thinking that the power supply is not providing enough power to the motherboard?

What do you guys think?

MSN

Yes thats 100% correct. I would say your on the ball. It wont read write if it had a power surge , which by turning it off and on like that causes it. I would have to say try the power supply, becuase when I have had to turn my PC off like that becuase I forgot to plug something or it locked up it would read my CPU as 500mhz and i have a 1gig.

-XPerties

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you guys.....I had one similar problem....and I had to change the power suply...

One important advice, never...but never....go easy on a power suply....if you think you have a problem with a power suply just bye a new one....it´s much cheaper then a motherboard, for me it was too late and I damaged my motherboard....:wail: :wail: :wail: