nlite cd won't boot

eddie11013

I seem to have a problem. I used nlite 1.3 RC 2 and everything seemed to go very well. I was trying to create a bootable cd using the following: Windows XP Pro CD, SP2 CD, and 'all' hot fixes to date, as per using Belarc Advisor to get a list and then saved all the ".exe's" to one file. I "only" tried to integrate 'these', and did not try to integrate or "add or remove" anything else. At the end, nLite stated an ISO image was created. I then used ISOBuster, inserted my Windows XP Pro CD, clicked on bootable disc, right clicked on "Dell.img" to extract, downloaded and saved same. Then I used my Easy CD Creator 5, clicked on File/New Project/Bootable CD. Set the following settings: Bootable CD type/No Emulation; Load Segment/0x7c0; Sector Count/4; clicked Browse/located Dell.img/clicked open & OK. When the dialog closed I had BOOTCAT.BIN & BOOTIMG.BIN in the root of the CD project. I then selected File/CD Project Properties, this launched the CD Project Properties dialog. On the general tab, on Volume Label: XPSP1_PRO_ENG (as per original label name); file system ISO9660; and selected Mode 1 CDROM. Clicked OK. Added C:\WinLite.iso to CD project. And started recording process. When done, tried to use same and received, on bootup: CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR -- I did load my Windows XP Pro CD, by itself, and it wanted to do its thing, that is, load up. I did burn two other CD's so I know that Easy CD is working correctly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Eddie

Thanks for your assistance.

I checked the burned CD, it contained the following: Bootcat.bin Bin Image, 2kb (shows a picture of a CD with a check mark on the bottom right hand corner of the CD picture; Bootimg.bin Bin Image, 8kb (shows a picture of a CD with a check mark on the bottom right hand corner of the CD picture); and, Winlite.ISO Image File, 633,856kb (shows like an 8 .5x11 sheet with a picture of a CD on it). The "label" of this cd is: XPSP1_PRO_ENG, which is what I would think it should be. Am I maybe missing a step in the burning process, that as to say, is there something else that needs to be burned besides the: Dell.img = Bootcat.bin & Bootimg.bin, & adding Winlite.ISO, although there isn't much more room. I thought about adding all the contents of my Windows XP Pro, but that is over 500MB. I could burn a DVD, if necessary. By the way, I'm using CD-RW's.

Thanks again for your help,

Eddie

The missing point is that an .iso file, like the one nlite creates, is a FULL IMAGE of a CD.

(i.e. it ALREADY contains bootsector, etc.)

You don't need to fiddle with

Set the following settings: Bootable CD type/No Emulation; Load Segment/0x7c0; Sector Count/4; clicked Browse/located Dell.img/clicked open & OK. When the dialog closed I had BOOTCAT.BIN & BOOTIMG.BIN in the root of the CD project.

you just burn the .iso.

If you want a simple, no nonsense app to do so, check one of those referenced here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=18845&hl=

IMGBURN, ISOBURNING or BURNCDCC are all good.

jaclaz

Thanks for the help.

I used a program called DeepBurner to burn the iso. It was very easy to use this program vs what I was trying to do before. I reformatted using this 'new' nlite iso created cd. The computer seems to be working fine. I only have a couple of follow up questions. Even though I used microsoft virtual pc and it said everything was fine, when I installed it, some files did not copy. There were '8' "xptht..d.jpg" "type" files that did not copy. I assume no big deal, since they are only "jpg" files. There was a "xpsp3res.dll" that it said did not copy, but when I 'searched' my computer after I finished everything there were actually "three" of these files on my computer, so again, I guess its not an issue. And, there were two others that did not copy, xptht25w.htm & xptht33w.htm. I have no idea what these are. Don't know if I should worry about these two or not.

So then the real questions: Is it really worth while to try using the "virtual pc", since it didn't find a problem. AND, is this 'normal' for some files not to copy over, or do I need a different "burner" program. I realize some other burners were suggested, but "DeepBurner" was highly regarded on the Cnet download web site, and it was "very" easy to use.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

PS: I did try the sfc /scannow thing but it didn't help any.