IE7 RunOnceEx problem solved! Finally!

Hey guys! Well after a few hours of work I finally have a real fix for this, now this is one of my first few posts so don't go nuts on me if I do/say something wrong :no: . I have tested this on XP Home and Pro using nLite and it worked perfectly! Ready to know what my "awesome fix" is?? Okay, okay...I have slipstreamed KB929969 and KB928090 into the Internet Explorer 7 installation. It is already a silent installer, and I had a great time making this and learned a LOT too, so all I ask is a little feedback and appreciation because this is my own work. The first link is an nLite addon of this and the second is just the installer (in case you don't use nLite for some reason) Enjoy everyone! :thumbup

Addon for nLite

Quiet Installer Package

The method is explained at

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=93152

For those want to make its installer in his native language. (sorry for my language ^^)

rajesh.kumar

Do you Known, if this will still work using the DriversPack Base Method 2 - that random add an line to RunOnceEX to finish the fake Setup ( I think the method number 2 ).

Cause i had some problems with the shutdown time since on 4 computers i tested on it takes about 10 Minutes to finish up the Fake Setup of DriversPack ... so i had to remove the shutdown or change the default 60 seconds to restart to 15 minutes in order to make sure DriversPack finish the setup.

Or any trick to make the DriversPack Fake Setup run on the last RunOnceEX3.cmd ?? and thanks for the great Work ;)

oh yes. i too use method2 and as u can see in my RunOnceEx, the entry 0017 is empty and i add finisher to that entry from the dp base. RunOnceEx executes dp-finisher completely no matter how much time and only then it executes the following list of entries.

If u want to execute the finisher urself, choose 'custom' when selecting the finisher method in dpbase. then add the following line in ur cmd file :

"%systemroot%\DPsFnshr.exe ".

in case if u want to modify ur distribution already slipstreamed with dp,

1) open cmdlines.txt and remove the line "ROE.exe <RunOnceEx entry order>".

2) manually specify the entry %systemroot%\DPsFnshr.exe (this file is extracted to %systemroot% already during installation) in the cmd file whereever u want.

Edited by rajesh.kumar

Well, today I finish my testings in this matter. As you can see everyone has its own apporach for solving this issue, and AFAIK that's what this forums are for ;).

Using the steps I posted here (and of course with your invaluable help ;)), you can install IE7 en its hofixes in a very clean way. And YES it works, tested several times.

Below my findings:

ADVANTAGES:

1) No need of third party software (nLite, HFSLIP, etc.) to accomplish this task

2) No file manipulation in any way (no extraction/replacement/overwriting/repackaging of files and/or hotfixes)

3) No extra registry entries need to be used/modified besides RunOnceEx

4) No need of manually registering DLLs

5) Only ONE reboot required, this is absolutely necessary, you have to reboot before applying IE7's hotfixes

6) No need of a lot of CMD files (just your good old RunOnceEx.CMD and IE7_Hotfixes.CMD)

7) No further registry/files cleaning needed

8) Very clean and highly costumizable

DISADVANTAGES:

1) Status "WindowsUpdate" dialog does not show up when installing the two IE7 hotfixes. Although it only takes 20-30 seconds, some people would like to see what is happening during this time.

CONSIDERATIONS:

1) Install all your software, including IE7, with RunOnceEx.CMD.

2) When doing this, use this line:

REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000080" /f

instead of this:

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx /V Flags /T REG_DWORD /D 0x80 /F

To add the FLAGS key to RunOnceEx.

As Yzöwl Once said, it's not technically the correct syntax, but for some strange reason if you use the other syntax it does not show the status dialog, although it does execute all the commands; why? don't ask me!, I don't know, but it happens :wacko:

Well, i think that's all for now, please let me know any new comments/findings/doubts.

And again: thanks to all of you!

Edited by chon_

chon im again testing it today. i dont mind status dialog not showing for that short time. i want to clarify fe things before that :

- previously when i used the line REG ADD %KEY% /V Flags /T REG_DWORD /D 128 /F, the status dialog when RunOnceEx.cmd executed doesnt show up at all. (have a look at my RunOnceEx.cmd above, how many programs i install there. i never see the status dialog for that whole session).

- the next RunOnceEx2.cmd (not the exact file as i posted above) which includes the ie7 fixes doesnt execute at all. also the flag entry is not found.( i have also included the flag entry in RunOnceEx2.cmd ).

I want to know if i can ignore adding the flag (REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000080" /f) to RunOnceEx.cmd and add it to RunOnceEx2.cmd alone. anyhow RunOnceEx is not hijacked until ie7 is installed and restarted. so before restarting, the RunOnceEx2.cmd entries would have been added already.

Edited by rajesh.kumar

@rajesh.kumar

I'm very interested in your findings because i've been following the work you've done here and I think it deserves a lot of attention. Also please can you do me a favor? can you send or posts your CMD files?? I would like to take a more indepth look at them. Thanks in advance

PS: another favor: please give feedback ;)

@rajesh.kumar

I'm very interested in your findings because i've been following the work you've done here and I think it deserves a lot of attention. Also please can you do me a favor? can you send or posts your CMD files?? I would like to take a more indepth look at them. Thanks in advance

PS: another favor: please give feedback ;)

You Mean This ?

RunOnceEx_and_IE7Stuffs.rar

He already posted all cmds in rar format on his posts, (very usefull)

I want to know if i can ignore adding the flag (REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000080" /f) to RunOnceEx.cmd and add it to RunOnceEx2.cmd alone. anyhow RunOnceEx is not hijacked until ie7 is installed and restarted. so before restarting, the RunOnceEx2.cmd entries would have been added already.

I found on my testings that removing that line makes te 2nd runonceex not to run, so I think it's a MUST. Anyway, let me now your findings in this issue. If you can provide your newest RunOnceEx.cmd I think we can isolate the problem.

@Neo - Matrix

Yes, I meant those. Sorry, I overlooked them :P

@rajesh.kumar

Attached you'll find two files, one is named New_RunOnceEx.cmd the other is New_RunOnceEx2.cmd.

Please rename New_RunOnceEx.cmd to RunOnceEx.cmd and use it in your testings as your main RunOnceEx batch file.

Place New_RunOnceEx2.cmd accordingly (where original RunOnceEx2.cmd resides).

I think this two files will accomplish all the tasks that you're working on. These are modified versions of CMD files based on your work.

Let me know how it goes ;)

NewRunOnceExesFor_rajesh.kumar.rar

thanks . previously i tried exactly the way u sent and it doesnt show me the status dialog of RunOnceEx execution and doesnt install RunOnceEx2. i dont know the problem is due different language. I try again now and if it doesnt work, i do slight modification to the files u sent and try again.

Edited by rajesh.kumar

1) the entry "REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000080" /f" is removed as soon as ie7 is installed. it was there until ie7 is installed. so after restart RunOnceEx2 is never executed. RunOnceEx2 adds the flag entry again but surprisingly its missing when i check registry during countdown to restart. so the flag entry is removed between the time when ie7 install completes and desktop loads.

2) during the countdown, i manually execute RunOnceEx2 and after restart, RunOnceEx is executed without problems.

All these issues are already posted here by me and one or 2 members.

Can someone tell me the difference between

REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000080" (adds the key under type reg_sz)

and REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /T REG_DWORD /D "0x00000080".(adds the key under type reg_dword).

Since manually executing RunOnceEx2 works, let me try using Run to add the flag entry again after ie7 install completes.

ok atlast i got it work.

before telling u the working method, i wanted to tell few things i experienced.

problems i faced

1) "REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /D "dword:0x00000080" /f" only made the RunOnceEx progress screen dissappear. RunOnceEx2 doesnt execute as usual.

Solution

I found that this entry was added under the type reg_sz. but what needed was it has to go under type REG_DWORD. so i changed the entry to :

REG ADD %KEY% /V FLAGS /T REG_DWORD /D "0x00000080" /f and used it. this one also gave me the same result.

Finally i just exported that entry to IEFlag.reg and used it in my installation. this is how i did.

And no extra flag entries in my cmd files, but i used reg file.

Only one restart is required for this method making my previous post obselete.

The codes are fiddled by the code tags so i have attached them.

MY WORKING SOLUTION

RunOnceEx.cmd

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\XP_SP2.CD SET CDROM=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Wonder XP Updation in Progress" /f

REG ADD %KEY%060 /VE /D "Installing Internet Explorer 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%060 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\IE7-Setup.exe /passive /update-no /norestart" /f
REG ADD %KEY%060 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\RunOnceEx2.cmd" /f
EXIT

RunOnceEx2.cmd

line 3 is for my sake. ie window must have been run in order to apply some registry settings from 03_ie7.reg

line 4 adds the flag entry to RunOnceEx after installing ie7 and as windows enters desktop.

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\XP_SP2.CD SET CDROM=%%i:
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run" /v ZRunIE /d "iexplore.exe" /f
reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run" /v ZIEFlag /d "REGEDIT /S \"%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\IEFlag.reg\"" /f

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Internet Explorer 7 fixes and Cleanup" /f

REG ADD %KEY1 /VE /D "Installing IE7 fixes 928090 and 929969" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\IE7-KB928090.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 3 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\IE7-KB929969.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 4 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY2 /VE /D "Shortcuts and Corrections and cleanups" /f
REG ADD %KEY2 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\SAC.cmd" /f
REG ADD %KEY2 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz3_ie7.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY3 /VE /D "Final restarting" /f
REG ADD %KEY3 /V 1 /D "shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c \"KB928090 needs restart. Everything is OK now and restarting to give ur final Desktop...\"" /f

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Restart to install Serious IE7 fixes(not related to internet but its ur windows! corrupted by IE7)..."
EXIT

IEFlag.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]

"FLAGS"=dword:00000080

03_ie7.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Remove iexplore.exe and flag-entry from Run
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ZRunIE"=-
"ZIEFlag"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"RunOnceComplete"=dword:00000001
"RunOnceHasShown"=dword:00000001

; add search MS Knowledgebase by KB number (just type the number in the search box)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\MSKBnumber]
"DisplayName"="MS KB number"
"URL"="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid={SearchTerms}"

;add search MS knowledgebase by string (type the string in the search box)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\MSKBString]
"DisplayName"="MS KB String"
"URL"="http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query={SearchTerms}"

;search using Dogpile
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\Dogpile]
"DisplayName"="Dogpile"
"URL"="http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web/{SearchTerms}"

;Set ConTEXT as HTML editor in Firefox
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shell\edit\command]
@="%programfiles%\\ConTEXT\\ConTEXT.exe \"%1\""

;Set ConTEXT as HTML editor in Firefox
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxHTML\shell\edit\command]

;Set ConTEXT as HTML Default Editor
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared\HTML\Default Editor\shell\edit\command]

;Set ConTEXT as HTML editor in Internet Explorer
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor]
"Description"="ConTEXT Programmers Editor"

;Set ConTEXT as HTML editor in Internet Explorer
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor\shell\edit\command]

;Turn On Popup Blocker
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New Windows]
"PopupMgr"="yes"

;Make Google DEfault Search Engine
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes]
"DefaultScope"="{A5816146-54D7-4DEF-B045-53B0E67878FD}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter]
;Phishing Filter Automatic
"Enabled"=dword:00000000
"ShownVerifyBalloon"=dword:00000001

;Add MSFN Forums as a Secondary Home Page
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Secondary Start Pages& quot;=hex(7):68,74,74,70,3a,2f,2f,77,77,77,2e,6d,73,66,6e,2e,6f,72,67,2f,62,6f,61,72,64,2f,69,6e,64,
65,78,2e,70,68,70,3f,00,00,

@Muki : Can u pl confirm whether this method works for u?

New_Working_RunOnceEx.rar

Edited by rajesh.kumar

Weird....

Indeed, i've found that IE deletes the FLAG entry for RunOnceEx2, but it does not delete the other entries (where you put the hotfixes commands), so, although it deletes the FLAG entry, it stills executes the commands.

We're doing something different here.

Later today I'll check your files step by step and make some tests in virtualpc with them, i'll let you know.

all the time i was talking abt ie7 deleting the flag entry and not the other RunOnceEx2 entries(the hotfix installation and other commands). they are still there and never got executed. thats why i have to formulate that final method of execution in order to maintain the flag entry to make the RunOnceEx work even after installing ie7.

Edited by rajesh.kumar