IE7 RunOnceEx problem solved! Finally!

I've tryed it with corrected syntax with no success. The second boot does not install anything.

Corrected samples of my files...

RunOnceEx.cmd:

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx /V Flags /T REG_DWORD /D 0x80 /F
REG ADD %KEY%019 /VE /D "MS Internet Explorer v7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%019 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\install\MsAddons\IExplorer7\IE7.exe /quiet /passive /norestart" /f
REG ADD %KEY%105 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\install\RunOnceEx2.cmd" /f
exit

RunOnceEx.cmd:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx /V Flags /T REG_DWORD /D 0x80 /F

REG ADD %KEY%900 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\install\Hotfixes_2\IE7_Hotfixes.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%910 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\install\CleanUp.cmd" /f
exit

Registry entries are correctly imported but flag is missing and no executables are started after the second boot.

P.S. When I send message to this forum it removes some symbols from my post and I cannot correct it. So it seems that there are some mistakes in my code listings but there are no in files on my PC. It removes some slashes and zeroes. Do you know how to correct it?

Edited by Muki

Hey,

In my experience IE7 is incredibly slow to install, maybe I'm doing something wrong? (it's been suggested I pull my network cable out to speed the installation up? Can anyone confirm this works?)

By all means give my method a go, it works perfectly - I assure you :-P.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

i assume that microsoft's release of KB928090 will correct the seizure of RunOnceEx by IE7. With this in mind, i would trying some other way of installing it silently whatever it takes. Till now my ways are consuming much of the time. would get back as soon as i get it work (or fail). why in hell cant they release corrected 7.1 version. Using Tabs in IE7 is the worst part in my life, if i want IE to hang, i press any of the tab.

@SRJ : did u get it thru the problem? oh yes. the status dialogs cant be seen if the flag is inserted. After the restart, the flag itself is not seen in the registry and second RunOnceEx is not working.

Edited by rajesh.kumar

@neo-matrix : there are 2 versions of KB929969. One for XP SP2 (under affected software) and another for IE 7 (under affected components). You must download the one for IE 7. I dont know the difference between the two but both are present in the download page. may be the first one is for non-ie7 xp.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-004.mspx

:whistle::blink:

Yeah that's it, i was following the http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=86450&st=0 Topic, and didn't see for IE7 download link on the page.

Now it works right, thanks. :hello::thumbup

I'll try to make it work on the weekend.

Hey,

KB928090 does not resolve the associated RunOnceEx failure.

laze.

It does if everything is properly installed. I integrate IE7 using nLite and then runonceex the hotfixes (with noreboot, and force overwrite). All is fine on first boot and runonceex works first time and everytime thereafter. No huge delay during the process either, it's all very quick. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure.

Edited by techtype

Hey,

It's not a secret that nLite skips iernonce.dll during the integration of Internet Explorer 7 and as a result does not break RunOnceEx.

I'm all for sharing knowledge my friend, so congratulations to you... but if you integrate KB928090 it will still break RunOnceEx. I'm actually sceptical that it works after you've applied KB928090 too (unless you're implenting the above fix, then of course it works, lol) but I'll take your word for it.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

Hey guys! Well after a few hours of work I finally have a real fix for this, now this is one of my first few posts so don't go nuts on me if I do/say something wrong :no: . I have tested this on XP Home and Pro using nLite and it worked perfectly! Ready to know what my "awesome fix" is?? Okay, okay...I have slipstreamed KB929969 and KB928090 into the Internet Explorer 7 installation. It is already a silent installer, and I had a great time making this and learned a LOT too, so all I ask is a little feedback and appreciation because this is my own work. The first link is an nLite addon of this and the second is just the installer (in case you don't use nLite for some reason) Enjoy everyone! :thumbup

Addon for nLite

Quiet Installer Package

The side effect of this fix appears to be that the "Windows Update" (RunOnceEx) dialog is not shown, e.g. Installing Application 1,2,3,4 etc.

As much as I miss it, I enjoy watching my unattended install actually operate properly. (other the evil "to improve the appearance of visual elements, blah blah blah" hoping that is just because I'm using VMware) Now as far as letting me know where it is at in the progression of installs... Message boxes that pop up and go away on their own?, or a message box at end of RunOnceEx Process? Or simply have it reboot when it is done...

Thanks for your work.

FYI, Personally I try to avoid third party programs when I can. I know a good portion of the posts I see in these forums are nLite stroke jobs.. from what I've read it is a great tool, but before I'd use it my environment I'd need go over it with a fine toothed comb. And as for "Installer Packages" created by other users; Sorry, but I'll pass. I don't know you personally, and I don't know what you've put in the burrito.

Edited by Sinistrality

Hey guys! Well after a few hours of work I finally have a real fix for this, now this is one of my first few posts so don't go nuts on me if I do/say something wrong :no: . I have tested this on XP Home and Pro using nLite and it worked perfectly! Ready to know what my "awesome fix" is?? Okay, okay...I have slipstreamed KB929969 and KB928090 into the Internet Explorer 7 installation. It is already a silent installer, and I had a great time making this and learned a LOT too, so all I ask is a little feedback and appreciation because this is my own work. The first link is an nLite addon of this and the second is just the installer (in case you don't use nLite for some reason) Enjoy everyone! :thumbup

Addon for nLite

Quiet Installer Package

Hi :hello:

I´ll try it on a test machine, anyway is it possible to make a how to on this.

Since I´m a Brazilian User, and my XP is Portuguese - your add on will not work for me.

Thanks

ok. I HAVE DONE IT without any glitch. :thumbup

The only thing i assumed was :

1) Installing KB928090 will reclaim the RunOnceEx seized by IE7. (and thats right. thats one of the purpose this patch meant for)

2) If this patch is installed silently anyhow, i can proceed with using RunOnceEx normally.

Problems which I considered :

1) IE7 must atleast be already installed in order to apply the patches. u can apply thru svcpack.inf but u have to integrate ie7 with xp which gives the problems 1,2,3 as below.

2) If u use RunOnceEx to install the patches, ie7 must be already installed which would already have seized RunOnceEx.

So keeping all the above in mind, i have setup my own method of installing and just now i tested sucessfully after many many tries. my only problem was 'what to execute where' which just got solved.

The following is the result of following my way of installation :

1) All ms files (ie7.exe and the patches) are used as is and individually in its original form. No modification or replacement of files in the original ms source files is required.

2) prevent dissappearance of quicklaunch icons in xp created by integrating ie7 using nlite.

3) prevent xp not creating quicklaunch icons for new users ( in the xp integrated with ie7 using nlite).

4) prevent the dissappearance of status dialogs when using the flag specified in the forum. now u can see as usual, whats happening during RunOnceEx execution.

5) Everything with ie7 works well and good, no compromise or loosing something for the other to work well.

All u have to do is watch the xp restart max 3 times in order to complete the process successfully. waiting for 5-10 extra minutes is nothing compared to the time taken by all of us individually from our respective locations spending all these time on this. And also it is a one-time job so no botherations.

My only point was not to alter the source files and use as is.

ALL I HAVE DONE IS USING 'RunOnceEx' AND 'Run' very effectively in the right way.

I would post my code this evening as i am testing for second time(and may require 1-2 more installations to confirm).

And also im trying to reduce the no. of restarts(from 3 to 2, eventhough i dont bother abt it).

Edited by rajesh.kumar

@Sinistrality

I totally agree with you on this:

FYI, Personally I try to avoid third party programs when I can. I know a good portion of the posts I see in these forums are nLite stroke jobs.. from what I've read it is a great tool, but before I'd use it my environment I'd need go over it with a fine toothed comb. And as for "Installer Packages" created by other users; Sorry, but I'll pass. I don't know you personally, and I don't know what you've put in the burrito.
:thumbup

There's nothing better as doing it by your own hands, needs a lot of time and testing, but I think you learn a lot more. Personally I don't like to use nLite, I used it once and it's a great tool, but then again I like to do it "the hard way" :D

As for

The side effect of this fix appears to be that the "Windows Update" (RunOnceEx) dialog is not shown, e.g. Installing Application 1,2,3,4 etc.

That's not entirely true, as a matter of fact, the first part of RunOnceEx, where you install all of your software including IE7 Still shows the status window, the only detail (which I'm dealing with right now), is that it doesn't show the status dialog when it Install the IE7 hotfixes. Although it only takes 30 seconds to install them, I would also like to see a status window ;) I'm currently working on this, I'll post my findings within the hour regarding this matter in this same topic.

Edit: hahaha I think I found the culprit!!!!!!! I think it's working 100% now, including status dialog. Doing more testing.... results very soon.....

Edited by chon_

I know you learn alot doing it yourself, I even said that I learned alot...I just don't understand why you guys are still looking for the fix when I just gave it to you, even fixes the RunOnceEx problem, and if you don't like nLite that's why I included the installer package...if you are worried about what's in it, just unpack it and look, or scan it with something. This seems like a problem for a lot of people, thought the fix would be welcomed with open arms but I guess not :realmad:

ok here is the code. spent testing it all the daytime and finally got it posted. kindly post ur suggestions.

I found some characters in my code are modified by the codebox so im attaching the files. it would contain more entries pertaining to my installations which u can always ignore them and verify just what u were looking for.

All i do here is after RunOnceEx, restart - install ie7 - restart - install KB928090 - restart - continue using RunOnceEx.

I purposely wanted user profile to be created after first time RunOnceEx is run and so i run ie7 after restarting as im worried of ie7 messing up with quicklaunch.

Full contents of RunOnceEx.cmd is shown just to mention the application installs happens in normal way. Just note the entry no:0050.

RunOnceEx.cmd

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\XP_SP2.CD SET CDROM=%%i:
REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Wonder XP Updation in Progress" /f

REG ADD %KEY1 /VE /D "Installing Windows Update Agent2.0 V6" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY2 /VE /D "Installing Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool KB892130" /f
REG ADD %KEY2 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\WGAValidationTool-892130\update\update.exe /passive /norestart" /f
REG ADD %KEY2 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY3 /VE /D "Security Issue - KB900725" /f
REG ADD %KEY3 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\WindowsXP-KB900725-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY3 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY4 /VE /D "KB914440 - Network Diagnostic Tool v12" /f
REG ADD %KEY4 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\WindowsXP-KB914440-v12-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY4 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY5 /VE /D "Security issue in the way ART images are handled - KB918439" /f
REG ADD %KEY5 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\WindowsXP-KB918439-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY5 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY6 /VE /D "KB924667" /f
REG ADD %KEY6 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\KB924667.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY6 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%011 /VE /D "Installing Windows Media Player 11" /f
REG ADD %KEY%011 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz1_wmp11-windowsxp-x86.exe /Q" /f
REG ADD %KEY%011 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%012 /VE /D "Flash 9 ActiveX Plugin" /f
REG ADD %KEY%012 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\flash_player_active_x.msi /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%022 /VE /D "Extracting Lot of my Themes" /f
REG ADD %KEY%022 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\7z x -o\"%systemroot%\Resources\Themes\" -y \"%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\Themes.7z\"" /f

REG ADD %KEY%023 /VE /D "Modifying Clock..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%023 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz2_LC162b.exe /S" /f

REG ADD %KEY%024 /VE /D "Applying Glass..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%024 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\Glass2k.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%025 /VE /D "Correcting Backgrounds..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%025 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\$OEM$\REGTW\BG_Tweaks.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%026 /VE /D "Adding My Cursors..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%026 /V 1 /D "RunDll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %Systemroot%\Resources\Themes\MyBlueGlass\Install.inf" /f

REG ADD %KEY%027 /VE /D "Correcting Cursor..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%027 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\CursorsCorrection.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%030 /VE /D "Vista Style Desktop" /f
REG ADD %KEY%030 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\Vista.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%031 /VE /D "Restart Options in Taskbar" /f
REG ADD %KEY%031 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\restart.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%032 /VE /D "Top Desk - Desktop Utility" /f
REG ADD %KEY%032 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\TopDesk.exe /S" /f

REG ADD %KEY%050 /VE /D "This one executed in the next restart..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%050 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\RunOnceEx2.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%060 /VE /D "Restart to install Internet Explorer 7..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%060 /V 1 /D "shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c \"User settings are not yet created by windows unless this user is fully logged in. It is being created now. IE7 installed after restart...\"" /f
EXIT

RunOnceEx2.cmd

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\XP_SP2.CD SET CDROM=%%i:

reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run" /v ZRunIE7Patch /d "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\RunIE7Patch.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Internet Explorer 7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%010 /VE /D "Installing Internet Explorer 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%010 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\IE7-Setup.exe /passive /update-no /norestart" /f
REG ADD %KEY%010 /V 2 /D "shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c \"Buggy **** IE7 has just broke the RunOnceEx execution. Needs a restart to correct it...\"" /f
EXIT

RunIEPatch.cmd(shutdown is specified in both RunOnceEx2.cmd and RunIEPatch.cmd but at a time any one of it would be executed as both files are executed simultaneously. i didnt notice which one would but its not a prob.

reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run" /v KB928090Install /d "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\IE7-KB928090.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
reg add "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run" /v RunOnceEx3 /d "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\RunOnceEx3.cmd" /f
reg delete "hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run" /v ZRunIE7Patch /F
shutdown.exe -r -f -t 50 -c "From RunIE7Patch. Buggy **** IE7 has just broke the RunOnceEx execution. Needs a restart to correct it..."

RunOnceEx3.cmd

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "We now reclaimed the RunOnceEx" /f

REG ADD %KEY1 /VE /D "KB929969 - IE 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\KB\IE7-KB929969.exe /passive /norestart /nobackup" /f
REG ADD %KEY1 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\pause.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY2 /VE /D "Cleanup" /f
REG ADD %KEY2 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\$OEM$\Appz\Remove_from_Run.reg" /f

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 250 -c "Rectified the Bug caused by IE7. We have reclaimed the RunOnceEx. Needs a restart to resume normally..."
EXIT

Remove_from_Reg.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ZRunIE"=-
"KB928090Install"=-
"RunOnceEx3"=-

RunOnceEx_and_IE7Stuffs.rar

Edited by rajesh.kumar

I know you learn alot doing it yourself, I even said that I learned alot...I just don't understand why you guys are still looking for the fix when I just gave it to you, even fixes the RunOnceEx problem, and if you don't like nLite that's why I included the installer package...if you are worried about what's in it, just unpack it and look, or scan it with something. This seems like a problem for a lot of people, thought the fix would be welcomed with open arms but I guess not :realmad:

i do appreciate ur effort on this. or anyone's effort with regard to solving a problem and i understand and honour the efforts as i do mine. The point is i actually put my hands on this problem from the date feb patches are released. this has solved just today and i wanted to share with u all. i certainly get ur copy to add to my disc and check and rather use it later just to minimise and keep my routines simple.

Edited by rajesh.kumar