Replacing Motherboard

Zero Serenity

So, about a month ago I found out my old motherboard had blown caps which attributed to heavy freezing in the weirdest way (only happened when the computer was idle). So, I have come across a new board in the interest of getting the machine back to operational status. I implanted it, with all the goodies I had before and as expected it restarts on boot even when going to safe mode. So, assuming I can't use the old hardware, is there anyway I can avoid reinstalling XP from scratch? Someone suggested using the repair installation function, but I want to know what that would do to the OS first.

Why avoid fresh installation you ask? Simple. Once I finish the install I have to put in all my software. This is an affair that can take up to a week. Hell. One game I have takes 12 hours to update (FFXI) from installation.

Any advice or methods?

A repair installation is what you will want to do. All it does is reload all of the system files and files needed for proper functionality back onto your system and resets the hardware configuration to match your new hardware. Your games and personal files, software and settings will be untouched.

A repair install will work, but a fresh install is definitely the better option when replacing a motherboard. Doing graphics card, network card, hard drive, etc upgrades are one thing...but the differences in chipsets and their associated drivers can cause things to act a little weird if you don't do a fresh install.

I'd much rather re-install than replace my motherboard. Also, in a lot of cases, if you install your game to another drive, it should work right away after you've re-installed windows.

Perhaps you should look into the unattended apps forum and see if you can script some of your applications / games along with your re-installation.

And about that game that takes 12 hours to update?!?!? I'd get a refund, something is seriously wrong there.

'nuff

I'd much rather re-install than replace my motherboard. Also, in a lot of cases, if you install your game to another drive, it should work right away after you've re-installed windows.

Perhaps you should look into the unattended apps forum and see if you can script some of your applications / games along with your re-installation.

And about that game that takes 12 hours to update?!?!? I'd get a refund, something is seriously wrong there.

Um... aparently you missed a whole lot of the topic.

And the reason my game takes so long is because I have the original version of it. As in the one released almost three years ago. Since then probably every file the game uses has been replaced/upgraded. That's 7Gigs of information right there. 12hours is rather fast if you consider it that way.

Well, perhaps I missed the point, but that's because I suck down 4 gigs in less than 2 hours. You might want to upgrade your internet connection. ;)

But perhaps you missed MY point. What I said is if you install the game to a different partition than your windows partition, you don't have to reinstall the game or update it if you do a new installation of Windows. I do that for the few games I play. All I need to do after a fresh windows install is place the shortcut on my desktop and I'm ready to go with my games. No need up re-install or update.

Is that Final Fantasy 11 you're talking about (I deduct that from FFXI; not a real Final Fantasy player myself.

Chill bro, just trying to help.

And the reason my game takes so long is because I have the original version of it. As in the one released almost three years ago. Since then probably every file the game uses has been replaced/upgraded. That's 7Gigs of information right there. 12hours is rather fast if you consider it that way.

Install it and update it. Then make an ISO of the Program Files Folder and Application Data folder if necessary and any other folders that it requires, then export the registry entries. Burn it to a Dual Layer or store it on a second partition or external HDD. The next time you reformat or whatever, just extract and import. :thumbup

Update: All situations remedied. Board works great and the sound functions again. The sound has an interesting story. As I was pouring through the manual, it aparently said unless you had front sound headers attached, you need to short the board in two places to get the sound to operate. Well, I had the sound header, I attached it and we were all square and happy.

Enuff: I've done it on T3. It still takes 12 hours. The reason? It's trying to go to Japan for every file. The game uses registry entries (a good number of them) and fails to operate if I don't place them in.

Jeremy: Great idea. No idea how to export registry entries though if you could give some help here. (Burning DVDs I can do though)

Severach: I think I lost you too. The board was not worth using again so I sent it back, so what you said is useless.

Edited by Zero Serenity

Jeremy: Great idea. No idea how to export registry entries though if you could give some help here. (Burning DVDs I can do though)

Start > Run > regedit, browse to the game's registry location, right-click - Export, save as.

Battlefield 2 is provided by EA Games, so in the registry it goes like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2