%configsetroot%

well several Installs later it won't put the ctrl panel for my Vid driver into the display properties using this method but it does add it in the taskbar.

Now a new twist

I left the xml on root of dvd and didn't use %configsetroot% on anything only the <UseConfigurationSet>true and it copied down the whole DVD to Windows\configsetroot folder. ?? :rolleyes:

When you think you understand whats going on and make a minor change and MS throws curve balls at you.

Back to the drawing board

Edited by maxXPsoft

Could someone enlighten me as to the official documentation for this so called configsetroot. I cannot find any info about it and if I try to create a distribution share the PnPCustomizations section ends up containing the path to the configset on my local machine. How is that supposed to work? Does it somehow magically replace that path with the configsetroot path when running PE?

Well I'll be a *think of something bizzare/funny/ironic*!!

Tried the configuration set thing again and checked the resulting Autounattend.xml file and hey presto there's that %configsetroot% everyone has been banging on about. Shame Windows SIM copies the entire path instead of just the relevant part. Well I guess I won't need to do it again now I know what it should look like although I could swear I tried it before.

Just need to figure out how to sort the Wireless Lan now. Sorry to hear all the woes about this configsetroot but I think it's what I need as I want to have a base DVD image and put all the apps and drivers onto the usb drive. I'm sure I'll be back later with my own sob story when I find it's not working the way I want!

Using <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet> under <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup"

and leaving the AutoUnattend.xml on root of drive will copy the whole dvd to what I said in Windows, sorta like the I386 of past.

Who wants that? Takes longer to install and everything.

+ side = Using that the OEMs get copied down.

BTW, If you place your AutoUnattend.xml on a USB stick it copies the whole Dir to Windows\Configsetroot.

Not sure about sub folders as when I had that on my floppy there were no Subs

Whats the alternative?

Everything you would place in OEMs just mountrw the image and copy it all over to correct dirs

Remove <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet> setting and leave the xml on root and

NO Windows\Configsetroot folder

Using <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet> under <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup"

and leaving the AutoUnattend.xml on root of drive will copy the whole dvd to what I said in Windows, sorta like the I386 of past.

Who wants that? Takes longer to install and everything.

+ side = Using that the OEMs get copied down.

BTW, If you place your AutoUnattend.xml on a USB stick it copies the whole Dir to Windows\Configsetroot.

Not sure about sub folders as when I had that on my floppy there were no Subs

Whats the alternative?

Everything you would place in OEMs just mountrw the image and copy it all over to correct dirs

Remove <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet> setting and leave the xml on root and

Hey Maxx, just got you message will talk tommorrow but does this mean your are adding $OEM$ to wim file or just folders couse i know we $OEM$ working before last october. P.S. MSFN is still playing up for me dont know whay to problems on other forums:((

I see someone still hungup on Configsetroot instead of trying to move forward.

To go where no man or woman has gone before, to discover new and exotic lands and meet exciting and new people and .......

NO whole DVD copy

Drivers

FireGeier's method in this post with a little MaxXP twist of course

No file needed on root of Dvd, just a path and its all fine :thumbup

Thanks, for confirmation maxXP!

You can use the same method for your applications setup. I call a SetAppsRoot.cmd during specialize pass, which will set an AppsRoot variable using setx -m. It will put the variable in the machine environment and it will stay there as long till you remove it.

So you can install drivers and applications from where ever you want during any further passes. :thumbup

Note:

If you install drivers in these later passes you will be prompted if you do not use signed drivers.

So my recommendation is, install as many drivers as possible during PE pass - only possible for inf-Drivers.

Install exe-drivers during audit-mode - but take care that they are signed or you need to have a workaraound for the prompt.

Regards,

Martin

no file i mean i set the For cmd like this

DO IF EXIST %%i:\sources\pnpDrivers SET DriversRoot=%%i:

with my pnpDrivers folder with all sub folders in the sources folder and then all you need is

%DriversRoot%\sources\pnpDrivers

Yep only .inf in that pass but work's ok.

no file i mean i set the For cmd like this

DO IF EXIST %%i:\sources\pnpDrivers SET DriversRoot=%%i:

You're rigth maxXP, this is working as good and may be a bit "simpler". :thumbup

Note:

I've found out a little problem that might come up using this method during PE pass. Some Friends told me, that they've had problems using this method. The "funny" thing was, that the Autounattend.xml was detecteted on the stick by Setup, but the DriversRoot Variable was not set before. So I've had the idea that this could be a timing problem and at least it was.

So what happend on their system?

It's very easy. The SetDriversRoot.cmd was finished already before PE Enviroment had seted up the USB-Stick.

Workaround:

If you should have the same problem on your system, all you need to do is: Loop the SetDriversRoot.cmd like this:

@ECHO OFF
SET DriversRoot=NULL

:SearchDriversRoot
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\DriversRoot.txt SET DriversRoot=%%i:\
IF NOT "%DriversRoot%"=="NULL" GOTO StartSetup
GOTO SearchDriversRoot

:StartSetup
ECHO DriversRoot=%DriversRoot%
X:\setup.exe

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

I think this is the problem I was getting actually. That would explain it.

BTW you missed the DO in the FOR line it should be:

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\DriversRoot.txt SET DriversRoot=%%i:\

Good idea :thumbup

Edited by Dobby

I think this is the problem I was getting actually. That would explain it.

BTW you missed the DO in the FOR line it should be:

Good idea :thumbup

You're absolutly right Dobby! :thumbup

I've to apologize, cause these are the little syntax errors which can drive you crazy if you don't know anything about it.

@MC:

The setdriversroot.cmd is used to set the environment variable only. Than you can use the environment variable to point to the drive with your drivers folder. So in your Autounattend.xml you'll have a section like this in win pe pass:

<DriverPaths>
<PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="7c3d475d" wcm:action="add">
<Path>%DriversRoot%Drivers</Path>
</PathAndCredentials>
</DriverPaths>

And the structure of your removable device with the drivers on it looks like this:

USB_Drive:
|
|____ Drivers
| |___ Driver1
| |___ Driver2
| |___ Driver3
| |
| etc.
|
|____ Autounattend.xml
|
|____ DriversRoot.txt

Hope that'll clear it up!

Regards,

Martin

If your xml is on that usb stick then it makes it configsetroot so unneeeded the driversroot thing but using the configsetroot means it copies the whole thing down. Thats what we're trying to get away from.

I've been running all mine with xml on root of Dvd but just tried on a floppy. You see I left the \ out of FOR so I can place it. Also I leave out the X since we know X is WinPE root. This worked for me where in the xml I call the Drivers like this as a folder with no .txt file

%DriversRoot%\sources\pnpDrivers

It processes all Sub Folders there and I have them named like 1, 2, 3

Maybe my delay is coming from those other things I put in but this is on a 3Ghz with 1Gb ram.

Windows\System32\SetDriversRoot.cmd

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\sources\pnpDrivers SET DriversRoot=%%i:
CLS
ECHO DriversRoot= %DriversRoot%
ECHO DO NOT CLOSE THIS !!!
ECHO DO NOT PRESS ANYKEY !!!
ECHO.
X:\setup.exe
Pause

The thing about this is if it fails you can simply hit the X to close that window or enter if you can see it to quit setup without anything done to drive. If you can't see it hit Shift+F10 and then ALT+Tab to it. Takes about a second or two for setup to start so I see that window about that long.

• 8 months later...

Hi all :)

This is my solution without change anything in boot.wim

<!-- Add Drivers -->
<RunSynchronous>
<RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>1</Order>
<Path>cmd.exe /X /C "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\sources\pnpDrivers SET DriversRoot=%i:\&& start /W ..\Setup.exe"</Path>
<Description>Aggiunta dei drivers PNP per iinstallazione</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>
<!-- Run PErsonal procedure -->
<RunSynchronous>
<RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>2</Order>
<Path>cmd.exe /X /C "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\sources\$OEM$\Install\PassoWinPE.cmd start /W %i:\sources\$OEM$\Install\PassoWinPE.cmd"</Path>
<Description>Esecuzione al passo windowsPE</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>

Cya :hello:

Edited by testazzo