Adding Office 2003 to my XP CD

Static_Nexus

ok so i slipstreamed office to my hdd and added the sp2 to it, then used the customization wizard to tune it and placed it in my folder for my winxp cd. everythings gone smoothly... the very last bit of the walkthrough here

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/50/

says about a batch file and command? ...what batch file? am i supposed to make one? and if so, where do i add the command to run it?

any help would be much appreciated.

The batch file will be listed under the [GuiRunOnce] section in WINNT.SIF. Typically in this fashion:

"%systemdrive%\install\batch_file1.cmd" (CMD is a batch file in the NT world)

This assumes you are using an $OEM$ folder and have OemPreinstall=Yes listed in your WINNT.SIF file.

The batch file will be listed under the [GuiRunOnce] section in WINNT.SIF. Typically in this fashion:

"%systemdrive%\install\batch_file1.cmd" (CMD is a batch file in the NT world)

This assumes you are using an $OEM$ folder and have OemPreinstall=Yes listed in your WINNT.SIF file.

ok now im really confused, i dont have a winnt.sif ive got the ini's providid by nlite. theres nothing listed under [GuiRunOnce] and i have no cmd file in my install folder, its empty :( the $oem$ folder just has my office stuff in it. oempreinstall is enabled.

Trust me, I know it can be confusing. :)

I don't know if you had nLite create the WINNT.SIF file since that file relates to the unattended part or if you did it manually. I have a custom WINNT.SIF file that has all my installation options: time zone, CD key, etc. You will need to create a new text file and save it to your $OEM$ folder and rename it to install.cmd (make sure it's not install.cmd.txt). In this batch file, you will need to place the Office installation line:

%systemdrive%\install\Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Make sure your $OEM$ directory structure reflects wherever your Office installation files come from. For example, if you have:

X: (CD-ROM drive letter)

-- i386

-- $OEM$

-- $1 (inside $OEM$)

-- install (place the cmd file along with the Office2003 folder in this install folder)(inside $1)

(refer to this pic)

During installation of XP (blue screen, copying files), it will copy over the contents of $OEM$ to the hard drive. $1 = root level (C:) while $$ = C:\Windows (default Windows installation folder). Once you log in for the first time, the XP installation will trigger the events in GuiRunOnce in WINNT.SIF and that relates to the batch file. The Office installation will run from C:\install\Office2003.

Hope this helps.

Trust me, I know it can be confusing. :)

I don't know if you had nLite create the WINNT.SIF file since that file relates to the unattended part or if you did it manually. I have a custom WINNT.SIF file that has all my installation options: time zone, CD key, etc. You will need to create a new text file and save it to your $OEM$ folder and rename it to install.cmd (make sure it's not install.cmd.txt). In this batch file, you will need to place the Office installation line:

%systemdrive%\install\Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Make sure your $OEM$ directory structure reflects wherever your Office installation files come from. For example, if you have:

X: (CD-ROM drive letter)

-- i386

-- $OEM$

-- $1 (inside $OEM$)

-- install (place the cmd file along with the Office2003 folder in this install folder)(inside $1)

(refer to this pic)

During installation of XP (blue screen, copying files), it will copy over the contents of $OEM$ to the hard drive. $1 = root level (C:) while $$ = C:\Windows (default Windows installation folder). Once you log in for the first time, the XP installation will trigger the events in GuiRunOnce in WINNT.SIF and that relates to the batch file. The Office installation will run from C:\install\Office2003.

Hope this helps.

yeah ok i figured all of that, it all makes sense, the bit i dont get is the file you have called WINNT.SIF and i just have the .inf files left from profile saves... where is WINNT.SIF supposed to be located?

I see the problem(s):

-- In WINNT.SIF, you have listed "%SystemRoot%\System32\nLite.cmd" under [GuiRunOnce]. Are you copying the files to C: or C:\Windows? Remember, when you use $OEM$, $1 is C: and $$ is C:\Windows. (report back what your directory structure looks like on your XP CD)

-- Also, you tell WINNT.SIF to look for a nLite.cmd file, but you named the batch file as something not nLite.cmd (you'll have to change one so they both reflect the same filename)

-- In your batch file, you have listed "%SystemRoot%\Install\Applications......", do you have an Applcations folder under Install? The batch file must reflect what's listed on the CD.

*directory structure*

X:\$OEM$\$1\Install\Office2003

*batch file*

"%SystemRoot%\Install\Office2003\Setup.exe

(notice they are the same as compared to what you have -- remove the Applications folder, it appears you just copied & pasted what the example showed)

I see the problem(s):

-- In WINNT.SIF, you have listed "%SystemRoot%\System32\nLite.cmd" under [GuiRunOnce]. Are you copying the files to C: or C:\Windows? Remember, when you use $OEM$, $1 is C: and $$ is C:\Windows. (report back what your directory structure looks like on your XP CD)

i have NO IDEA where this "%SystemRoot%\System32\nLite.cmd" comes from, its not in my runonce list in nlite :( i have "%systemdrive%\install\batch_file.cmd" in my saved customxp.ini file under run once, why the does this change?

-- Also, you tell WINNT.SIF to look for a nLite.cmd file, but you named the batch file as something not nLite.cmd (you'll have to change one so they both reflect the same filename)
i didnt do that, i dont even know what the nlite.cmd file does or where it is. nlite seems to change my command to run my batch_file.cmd to nlite.cmd

-- In your batch file, you have listed "%SystemRoot%\Install\Applications......", do you have an Applcations folder under Install? The batch file must reflect what's listed on the CD.

*directory structure*

X:\$OEM$\$1\Install\Office2003

*batch file*

"%SystemRoot%\Install\Office2003\Setup.exe

(notice they are the same as compared to what you have -- remove the Applications folder, it appears you just copied & pasted what the example showed)

yeah that all points to the correct place...

To be honest, I've had the most luck using nLite for integrating hotfixes, drivers, tweaks, options, creating the ISO and zero luck doing the unattended part, so I just gave up and did it manually.

Manually creating the WINNT.SIF (using Sysrep, refer to the MSFN Unattended guide), manually editing the batch file, and placing the files in their appropriate places on the install CD. I too have tried to do what you are doing (Office installation), and I think my unattended file was corrupted, so I just gave up.

I have no idea why it changed during the posting process on the forum. Bottom line, it comes down to 4 parts to get this to work:

1) Add OemPreinstall=Yes to WINNT.SIF

2) Add the batch file command under GuiRunOnce in WINNT.SIF

3) Add $OEM$ to your installation CD, add $1 or $$ folders, add the batch file to this folder along with your Office installation folders.

4) Pray lol

everything checks out fine, the problem is when windows boots for the first time and runs the bat/cmd files for addon's the cmd for office says something like c:\install\batch_file.cmd is not a recognised command. or something along those lines, then if i got to c: and run the .cmd file it runs fine...?

That error means that it isn't finding the CMD file (you are pointing to a location that doesn't have batch_file.cmd). Double-check everything.

You still never told me what your directory structure looks like on your XP CD. Once I know, I can see if WINNT.SIF is finding the batch file.