Copying files from network share

jmassi

My boss threw this at me: he wants to copy files from a network share to a local hdd while logged off the network and he wants it scheduled. Is this possible? If so, whats the easiest way to do it? Or is he dreaming? :whistle:

Thanks! :D

you could have your task scheduler run a command file which does this, but I believe some account needs to be online (not necessarily your bosses, but an admin or like account)

you would write a command file that says

copy /b /y <insert share location> <insert desination>

You could schedule a batch job that copies the file, but the job will have to run with an account and password that has permissions on both the machine that it is running, and the machine you're copying files from. Also, you'd have to use network UNC paths, as mapped drives only work with an actual shell session - I'd suggest using a vbscript for this, or perhaps a cmd script with robocopy commands.

Batch files and Sync Toy will work, but you would have to be present for Sync Toy to work (since there are no switches for it to copy automatically). As for the batch file, you would need to be logged on, but have a scheduled task setup instead.