New hardware...

FthrJACK

I have some money coming in... its burning a hole in my pocket already so i thought id go and buy some new toys.

Starting with 2 x 120GB hard discs to make a RAID array on my box for storage bin. i might get bigger than 120gb ones.. ill see.

im thinking about upgrading my mobo, CPU, adding some more ram, maybe getting a new graphics card last of all.

Anyone recomend any new AMD boards?

ive not had a peek about yet so im a bit out of the loop on whats new. Whatever it is will need RAID on board... if not ill need a RAID card too.

Another thing im after is a decent fanbus thing for the front of my case, ive seen some awesome ones out there, any recomends? Xperties sent me a link to one a while ago.. it looked like a car stereo and gave lots of temperature info as well as acted like a fan bus, i think it had a built in radio or something too.. got the link still Xperties?

im going to add my window and lights shortly too, because err.. it will make my machine faster.. honest. need a new PSU also...

Any ideas what i should look at much apreciated folks.

If your looking for storadge, id get 2 200gb wds, there about 200 bucks here in the states. And those babies in striped raid would be tight!

But if your looking for speed, go with the new SATA 36gb wd raptors. The spin at 10k and out perform scsi drives in some departments! 2 of those bad boys on mirror would be tight as hell!

In regards to a upgrade on the AMD side, i would wait for the amd 64 and 64FX to mature a bit and wait for a reversion on the Nforce 3 and kt800. That would be your best bet. A partial upgrade to a barton core wouldnt be that worth it...wait till tis mid- to late october, my inside sources say we will see a serious price drop.

|Drew|

Seen the new Packard Bell? :rolleyes: smile

DVD Burner wise I would get a TEAC. They are actually made by Panasonic for a number of companies and accept just about every Panasonic firmware upgrade. Mine does everything except DVD+R. The DVD-+R models also accept Panasonic firmware upgrades. They cost 1/2 as much as others and will do it all. Not one single coaster in 6 months.

Gigabyte's GA-7N400 Pro or GA-7NNXP are sweet. Middle of the pack cost wise, but perform at the top of the pack. Course Gigabyte includes a llot of extras in their mobo packages.

GA-7N400 Pro:

(Sound, LAN, Firewire, U-DMA/133 RAID)

GA-7NNXP:

(Sound, G-LAN, FW, SATA-R, IDE-R)

Both boards use the NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset and 200-400 MHz DDR.

Me and xper snagged Seagates Baracudda 120 GB 7200 RPM, Only ATA-100, but are excellent storage drives. They have a cushioning system that makes for quiet operation. Prices have fallen about $20.00 per drive in the past month.

Thats the stuff I have bought in the last few months and have no trouble with any of it and you know how hard I am on the stuff :)

EDit. You gonna get a new desk? One with a diaper changer built in :D:D