Strange Hard Disk problem

Sekkira

Basically, I recently moved over house temporarily (back story not important) and brought my PC along. I usually keep it constantly running for the PC health but have also encountered a strange problem among many (PSU breaking down, Graphics Card fan dismantling itself rather messily). None were as significant as my SATA II Seagate HD playing up.

Now the thing is, when I first obtained it, I managed to have a lot of problems getting it working, being new to the SATA II scene at the time. Eventually I figured out the motherboard was incompatible and I had to put a jumper on those pins on the HD to bring it down to SATA I, which solved the problem and from then on I used it without incidence for a long time (less than a year though). When I set up the PC here though, I found that the system would not recognise the disk on boot, leading me originally to believe that something in it was faulty. On reboot (without shutdown), it recognised it without incident and booted into Windows 2003.

To derail slightly, I have a Western Digital 160GB HD set up as my boot disk, with something like 10-20GB partition to the OS, 130-140GB assigned to Programs and a spare 10GB unallocated in case I decide to set up a dual boot. On the Seagate 250GB disk however, it is one giant partition dedicated to personal files for various, unimportant things. Unfortunately for me, that's about 150-200GB of various unimportant things.

So anyway, when it boots into Windows, I find that disk missing from my computer. In the device manager, I can see both disks there, both running fine according to Windows. My next trip is into computer management of which I find the Seagate HD inactive/offline. Selecting it to bring it back offline does something, which I'm unsure what, but whatever it is, it doesn't bring the disk back online.

So far, I've come to the conclusion that it could be something to do with the motherboard, which might require an expensive replacement (it's a 32-bit AMD, doing a quick search on AMD, I've not found anything other than 64-bit so I'd need a new CPU as well). I know I'd have to replace the PSU as it is a bit flaky, but nothing that seems to be doing anything damaging to the hardware. The other two conclusions is something to do with the HD, of which so far I have seen nothing actually wrong with it, or the software, of which I'm not entirely sure of how moving a PC from one place to another would effect the software. Either way, it appears it has somehow.

On to the question: With this information, could anyone give insight into what's wrong and how to fix it, or may need more information?

Edited by Sekkira

I managed to get online with the computer and am using it now to post this while sitting on the floor. Anyway, so far I've discovered more insight to this problem in that looking at the event viewer, it tells me it does start up the HD, but for some reason stops running it with quite a few errors. Going to the links supplied, there is no apparent information on this but I will provide screenshots of them:

computer%20management.png

event%201.png

event%202.png

event%203.png

event%204.png

event%205.png

event%206.png

event%207.png

Anyone have any idea of what the problem is here? If it's fixable or what?

• 2 months later...