Dummy DLL replacements

As the topic says, how one could create a dummy DLL file to replace an NT/XP DLL for use on Win9x ? Like the PSAPI.DLL replacement which was floating around.

I'm currenly using the freeware TVUPlayer. The executable seems to be Win9x compatible, but it uses a debuging DLL CrashCatcher.dll which imports OpenThread from Kernel32.dll.

My first try was to replace this function with CreateThread by hex-editing the file. Of course, it didn't worked because the function name length is different which messes up the DLL.

I've looked at Kernel32.dll exports, and choose the DeleteAtom function (what's this?!?) which has the same name length as the original one.

Currently the player works fine :P

But i'd preffer to create a dummy replacement for CrashCatcher.dll, as it seems to not be needed for proper function of the program and just wastes resources.

The problem is that i don't know how, my last (serious) programming attempts were on my Apple //e clone.

A quick guide would be best (LLXX, Tihiy ?)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'd preffer mingw over VC++

Edited by RainyShadow

What you need is an "import table editor".

Kill that DLL completely from the import table.

Of course, if/when it crashes it'll crash anyway...

Then email them and tell them that their software must be of quite an awful quality if they aren't even confident enough to release a version that doesn't require added debugging sh­it.

would you be able to recommend a piece of software to use?

I'd like to ask this too.

I've tried with LordPE, but the modified program crashes on startup :(

Once you have analyzed the import/export of the dll you can make your own dll which in some cases you can return a null or return a value to bypass said event

Edited by oscardog

would you be able to recommend a piece of software to use?

I'd like to ask this too.

I've tried with LordPE, but the modified program crashes on startup :(

The other option would be to dump with LordPE and use ImpRec to rebuild entire import table, but omitting the DLLs that you don't want.

There are programs available that will allow the editing of the import tables/reconstruction of them, I forget the names since I don't use them often.