1.3RC2 - Showstopper @ T-14 (ICFGNT.DLL)

Pistolero

:}

Hi Nuhi,

I have been experiencing this exact same issue with every 1.3 release to date (please look at screenie for more info). Once this happens, you end up with an empty desktop upon first logon and no apps work at all.

It always happens at the same spot. Please note, however, that this same setup (only with RyanVM's 2.15a update as the new 2.16 doesn't work with older nLite versions anymore) works flawlessly when I nLite with version 1.0.1.

I hope this helps get this bug squashed once and for all. Also, there appears to be an issue with the built-in ISO creator as it also always gives me the error about the invalid line upon CD boot. mkisofs seems to work fine, however.

I am also attaching my Last Session INI file for reference.

Thanks a bunch!

post-95832-1168996625_thumb.png

LAST_SESSION.rar

post-95832-1168996833_thumb.png

Edited by Pistolero

:)

So dramatic.

Thank you for reporting but this error is one of those rare ones so you won't find many people confirming this, if any.

This was reported from the very nlite beginnings every now and then...but too rare to gain priority. And of course I tried to reproduce it, maybe this time i'll be more lucky.

Can you explain to me in a few simple steps how to reproduce it?

Also are you using clean Windows (with service pack) as a starting point.

:)

So dramatic.

Thank you for reporting but this error is one of those rare ones so you won't find many people confirming this, if any.

This was reported from the very nlite beginnings every now and then...but too rare to gain priority. And of course I tried to reproduce it, maybe this time i'll be more lucky.

Can you explain to me in a few simple steps how to reproduce it?

Also are you using clean Windows (with service pack) as a starting point.

I am quite the thespian, I'm told :-P

I start with a folder with only my $OEM$ and Applications sub-folders. I then copy both the I386 and the DOTNETFX folders, along with any files in the root of the CD from my clean, freshly downloaded from MS Licensing XP Pro SP2 VLK ISO mounted with Daemon Tools. Once the copy is done, I fire up nLite. Choose my options, addons (I always put RyanVM's files at the very top of the list), Unattended info, patches, tweaks, and then process. I then make my ISO to test with VMWare. Wait, wait, and then watch it fail miserably and shatter my already brittle faith in humanity with only 14 minutes left to get to safety and installed bliss.

You should be able to reproduce as most of the addons are freely available on the 'net (except the CyberMacGyver ones... them are mine. And the error still happens without them)

Hey, how's that for true drama? I should probably get a job as a soap writer :-)

Maybe you didn't get the level of weirdness of this error, the Integrator won't save you unless they added few entries to prevent it:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1653

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1201

This is something with your specific version of windows if I may guess. I'm not saying it's not legal version, just it's different.

Let me know what you find out I haven't researched yet.

Maybe you didn't get the level of weirdness of this error, the Integrator won't save you unless they added few entries to prevent it:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1653

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1201

This is something with your specific version of windows if I may guess. I'm not saying it's not legal version, just it's different.

Let me know what you find out I haven't researched yet.

The weird thing is that my source is an unmodified ISO downloaded directly from the Microsoft Volume Licensing website! That is why I think this is so very weird. I also know that nLite 1.0.1 works perfectly and this error doesn't happen when I use the old version of nLite. Tell me, on your tests, do you use a VLK XP CD with SP2 already in it from factory, or do you slipstream SP2 manually into an older source?

I did try using the Integrator first, and then nLiting for tweaks and such. It didn't bomb! I did get a file not found error during text mode setup, but that's it. I like to use nLite over the Integrator because with nLite you can specify the order with which the addons are loaded (here's a thought: could you look into adding keyboard shortcuts and multiple selection capability with drag-and-drop to the addons list window in nLite? Takes too long to keep hitting the little green arrows on the right)

Also, would it be possible to have nLite dump a REG file with whatever tweaks you select so they can be reviewed and applied manually to already-installed machines if need be?

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted of any progress.

Edited by Pistolero

Just like to add I get this too - starting with no service pack source for Pro, nothing done to it and using nlite to slipstream SP2 then all the criticals since then plus ie7 & wmp11. Install completes, but no prompt for username & lots of services not starting (like its been 'optimised' - except it hasn't)

i can produce this error too. Using nlite 1.3RC2 and my addons are,

RogueSpearAddonsRuntimes_2.2.zip

RVMADDONS_1.8.1.CAB

RVMAddonsDX9_1.1.7z

RVMAddonsWGA_1.5.723.1.7z

RVMUpdatePack2.1.6.7z

And these ripped from Windows Media player 11 original:

umdf.exe

WindowsXP-MSCompPackV1-x86.exe

wmfdist11.exe

wmpappcompat.exe

i cant' remember but guess the older versions of nlite weren't real-integrating wmfdist11.exe. (I mean it was just with a simple entry to svcpack.inf likte wmfdist11.exe /q /n /z, i may be wrong though)

Bu this version real-integrates this. I assume this could be the problem.

w00t! I found the mahfah that was hosing my installs! Nuhi... how does 1.3 handle frakked-up INIs from AddOns? Take a look at this and see if you can tell what's wrong with the picture:

############################################

# Flash 9.0.16.0 Update by: 5eraph #

############################################

[general]

builddate=2006/07/04

description=Macromedia Flash Player 9.0 r16 for Internet Explorer

language=English

title=IE Flash Update

version=9.0.16.0

website=http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

That's it! Nothing more! No entries for the files included in the pack!

The ideal behavior here would be for nLite to just ignore broken addons like this one, instead of trying to integrate them anyways... my guess is that this addon was causing invalid lines in the txtsetup.sif file or somewhere else, and that was preventing Internet Explorer from being installed, and that's where the ICFGNT error comes from.

So, as promised, I give you a killer: http://www.esnips.com/doc/b1ac5709-2c7e-4b...Flash9R16_Addon

Thanks for looking into this, Nuhi!

That addon was probably just replacing one or two files in i386. What exactly would you expect entries.ini to contain for it, Pistolero? But yes, nLite certainly shouldn't be having problems with an INI like that :)

That addon was probably just replacing one or two files in i386. What exactly would you expect entries.ini to contain for it, Pistolero? But yes, nLite certainly shouldn't be having problems with an INI like that :)

You are indeed correct. But shouldn't it have made a couple of entries in a SIF file or something to make these two files actually copy over to the right place? Anyways, it made nLite run screaming like a little girl ;-)