No MS Virtual Machine update in SP 2.1a?

pcalvert

After installing the unofficial SP 2.1a, I visited Windows Update and was told that I need to install this:

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

Download size: 5.1 MB

This update helps resolve a vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual machine. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Read more...

Was this not included in the unofficial SP 2.1a? I tried to check, but I could not find a detailed and definitive listing of exactly what is included in the unofficial SP 2.1a anywhere. Since KB816093 is from 2003, I would've thought that it should have been included. Does anyone know if it was?

Phil

Was this not included in the unofficial SP 2.1a? I tried to check, but I could not find a detailed and definitive listing of exactly what is included in the unofficial SP 2.1a anywhere. Since KB816093 is from 2003, I would've thought that it should have been included. Does anyone know if it was?

AFAIK it was not included because

- it is an Internet Explorer component.

- it is too big

- MS VM is obsoleted already

- MS VM is not part of IE 6.0 SP1

Petr

If you use the auto-patcher instead, you'll get that update.

Still, make sure you download and install the latest Sun JavaVM from java.sun.com. That'll give you the latest Java as default, but leave the older Microsoft one there for older programs (like Brittanica 2004) that require it on the system.

Don't install the Sun Java until you have updated the Microsoft Java. Learned that one long ago!

Don't be afraid of the Alpha designation of the auto-patcher. The updates it includes are NOT alpha, only the auto-patcher itself. Just toggle on/off the stuff you do/do not want, rather than automatically running the whole thing. Turn on toggle for each module that has sub catagories and check each one to see that you get what you want. It'll prompt you to install Dialup Networking the first time. Let it do that, then after restart run the auto-patcher again and select what you want. The rest is automatic. The other non-automatic stuff you can do yourself afterwards from the manual updates folder it creates.

The Unofficial SP is old now. A new version is being worked on, but the auto-patcher is fully up to date so at this time, in my opinion, is the best choice.

unfortunately (pcalvert, Petr & Eck), the KB816093 MS Java build 3810 update will NOT work unless you have a previous version of MS Java installed (build 3809 or earlier). If you have NO MS Java installed whatsoever on a Win9x system, the msjavx86.exe file from KB816093 will refuse to work - it can only update an existing version of MS Java to build 3810.

MS made it that way. so to get KB816093 to work, install an old version of MS Java before installing KB816093.

unfortunately (pcalvert, Petr & Eck), the KB816093 MS Java build 3810 update will NOT work unless you have a previous version of MS Java installed (build 3809 or earlier). If you have NO MS Java installed whatsoever on a Win9x system, the msjavx86.exe file from KB816093 will refuse to work - it can only update an existing version of MS Java to build 3810.

MS made it that way. so to get KB816093 to work, install an old version of MS Java before installing KB816093.

Or totally remove msjava from your system with the msjava removal tool. This will stop microsoft update asking for the update. I had the same after installing MDIE6CU 1.2. This update contains KB816093 also but it made ms-update ask for it? Very strange, but the ujvm tool solved it. Link:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/UJVM.ZIP

Anyone who has not purposely uninstalled Microsoft JavaVM already has the older version installed. No need to install an older version first. In fact, if one just goes to Windows Update it will still offer the last version because the older one is a security risk.

There are older programs that will not run if the Microsoft version is not on the system. There is no reason to uninstall it. Once the JavaVM from Sun is installed it will automatically set itself as the default.

So all he's got to do is install the Microsoft 3810 update. The auto-patcher includes it, but like I said he could just go to Windows Update and get it. Or download it from a link on the mdgx.com website and install it himself. Whatever.