Many Win9x related questions

Petr

Does anybody know how to do the following things?

1. How to compile examples in Windows 98 DDK? I tried clean install with VC4.2, clean install with Visual Studio 6.0, and still most of the files are not compiled and I received many errors. I've read the documentation but no success yet.

2. How to compile UMSS from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257751 ?

3. How to compile KEYBOARD.SYS file from the source referenced at http://digg.com/security/MS_DOS_6_0_appear...gle_Code_Search ?

(I'd like to unify Win98 and DOS mode keyboards)

4. How to compile COUNTRY.SYS from the source above?

5. How to create/decompile/compile KEYBOARD.SYS file?

6. How to create/decompile/compile COUNTRY.SYS file?

7. How to create/decompile/compile LOCALE.NLS file?

8. Is there any editor for *.KBD, KEYBOARDSYS, COUNTRY.SYS, LOCALE.NLS files?

9. How the PE executable file checksum is calculated? I'd like to check it (and correct if wrong) in my program.

10. Is there any utility that would just correct the PE file checksum and nothing else? All utilities I found so far changed many other things too. Both command line version and GUI version would be nice.

I just located pesum utility that corrects the PE checksum: ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilprog/pesum2.zip

11. Is there any command line utility that would check the digital signature of the file and outputs the signature validity, date and signer name?

12. Does anybody know how to create .CAT files and (root) certificates for use in Windows 98?

13. Does anybody know how is calculated the checksum in INF files?

14. Does anybody know how to unpack the IO.SYS (WINBOOT.SYS) in Windows Me and replace the text strings? It is necessary for patch localization.

15. Does anybody understand how Microsoft Iexpress packages - updates - distinguish between 98 x 98SE and 95 x 95b x 95c?

16. Does anybody have Windows 95 or 98 (any version) in Basque, Catalan or Vietnamese languages?

17. Does anybody have Windows 95 or 98 or Me (any version) in Greek version, codepage 869 (IBM Greek)? All Greek Windows versions from MSDN are supporting codepage 737 known also as 437G only.

18. Does anybody have bootable Win98/SE/Me CD but NOT OEM version? If yes please send me the boot image.

19. Does anybody have good idea where to place all 20 language versions 98FE, 98SE, Me (95) if I will finish them, 25 language versions of IE 4.01SP2, IE 5.01SP2, IE5.5 SP2 that are no longer available from Microsoft, any maybe also all stanalone updates in various languages? It could be about 10 GB altogether.

20. Does anybody have any language versions of the latest IE 5.5 SP2 Cumulative update IE5.5sp2-KB905915-WindowsME-x86-ENU.exe other than ENU, ESN, CSY, JPN, SKY, SLV?

21. Was anybody able to debug the Windows Update v4 process, especially where is stored the information about the required test for each update and the download loaction? For WU v3.1 it was easy, there are files like http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/R1150/v.../0x00000409.gng (product 90719 = Windows 98, language 0409 = US English) but WU v4 goes via https and even proxomitron is not able to trace it.

22. Is there any Windows tool like linux strace command, that would be able to trace all the system calls?

23. Does anybody know (exactly) how to use debug builds?

24. Does anybody have experience with MS Hardware Compatibility Tests for Windows 95/98/Me and is able to proceed them successfully for all modified drivers located here?

25. Does anybody have an idea either how make Windows 2000 universal EHCI (USB 2.0) drivers to work on Windows 98 (SE), or how to remove the hardware id restriction from Orangeware drivers?

26. Does anybody have USB floppy drive and can verify if the Maximus Decim's NUSB works with it?

27. Does anybody have an idea how to modify ESDI_506.PDR (or create new one) to support generic SATA controllers/drives?

Regards,

Petr

Edited by Petr

I know the answer to a couple of questions, but I`m clueless to the rest.

10)You can use ModifyPE (found in the unattended guide) but I`m not sure if it works on 9x

11)Sysinternals had a tool called sigverif.

15)I thought that it looked at kernel32.dll for that information.

the_guy

Thanks for reply,

10)You can use ModifyPE (found in the unattended guide) but I`m not sure if it works on 9x

11)Sysinternals had a tool called sigverif.

15)I thought that it looked at kernel32.dll for that information.

Re 10 - I just found PESum 0.2 command line utility that correct the PE header checksum.

And now I have tested ModifyPE and it works on Windows 98 as well and have more useful functions, good find.

Re 11 - Sysinternals? Sigverif.exe is part of all MS OSes, I tested Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows Vista versions and only Windows XP version can be used for checking the signed packages with logging the result to a file, unfortunately the log contains only the information if the signature is valid, and who signed the file. There is no information about the date when the package was signed.

Edit: Sysinternals tool is Sigcheck 1.3, it displays the required information, but does not work on Windows 98 SE, just quietly dies. Although there seems to be no unresolved references.

Edit2: Sigcheck.exe dos not work correctly even on Windows XP if the tested file has different character set than US ASCII (1252).

Re 15 - I think INF files cannot use the information from DLLs, there is some strange construction with registry entries check and chained INF files but I was not able to understand to it.

Typical task is to install one file version for Windows 98 Standard Edition and different file for Windows 98 Second Edition.

The information from kernel32.dll is used by wextract.exe to check if the whole package is intended for this platform.

Regards,

Petr

Edited by Petr

A quick profiling of Sigcheck in Dependency Walker shows the following errors:

• GetProcAddress(0xBFF70000 [c:\windows\system\KERNEL32.DLL], "IsTNT") called from "c:\windows\system\OLEAUT32.DLL" at address 0x77A23F12 and returned NULL by thread 1. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).
• GetProcAddress(0x65F00000 [c:\windows\system\OLE32.DLL], "DcomChannelSetHResult") called from "c:\windows\system\OLEAUT32.DLL" at address 0x77A0FAB3 and returned NULL by thread 1. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).
• LoadLibraryW("Riched32.dll") returned NULL by thread 1. Error: This function is only valid in Win32 mode (120).

I guess it's the last one that prevents it from sending any output, as it cannot load the richedit32 library. Apparently it tries to load it using a Unicode function (LoadLibraryW), which obviously fails under Win9x.