Buy a license of nLite for commercial usage?

ether.real

So the EULA for nLite prohibits using it for commercial purposes. I am starting a PC Repair business soon, and I would like to use nLite for prepping unattended installs using customer's OEM keycodes. Is it possible for me to purchase a license for this purpose?

I don't believe that you can sell modified Windows, only OEM vendors which have agreement with Microsoft are allowed to.

So the answer is no.

I dont want to sell modified windows. I just want to use nLite to streamline the format/resinstall process when repairing PCs.

I don't believe that you can sell modified Windows, only OEM vendors which have agreement with Microsoft are allowed to.

So the answer is no.

I dont want to sell modified windows. I just want to use nLite to streamline the format/resinstall process when repairing PCs.

This will not really help you because you have to use the customer's XP CD in order for their install to be legal. The product key on each CD is unique and tied to their activation code, so if you use one CD (even if you use their CD Key), the product key will be on multiple customer's machines, and windows won't activate.

Actually that is not true. You can use OEM versions of XP with various PIDs for each manufacturer with those keys, or so I am told. So you can have a dedicated XP OEM disc that works with HP, one for Dell, etc, etc etc.

That is true, but what about white box machines you service?

What if you work in a corporate environment with a Corporate VLK version of XP and just want to nLite the version that you roll out to user's desktops so that you can start with a fully patched and updated installer sans nuisance items like the Windows Tour, MSN browser and that annoying animated search dog?

What if you work in a corporate environment with a Corporate VLK version of XP and just want to nLite the version that you roll out to user's desktops so that you can start with a fully patched and updated installer sans nuisance items like the Windows Tour, MSN browser and that annoying animated search dog?

The nlite license explicitly prohibits that kind of usage. Unless you can provide a valid reason to nuhi, I dont think you could get his permission either. The main reason behind this (as far as anyone knows) is because even though EU's will call Desktop Support, nuhi doesnt want any liability for lost money from a company due to something that may or may not be his program's fault.

The nlite license explicitly prohibits that kind of usage. Unless you can provide a valid reason to nuhi, I dont think you could get his permission either. The main reason behind this (as far as anyone knows) is because even though EU's will call Desktop Support, nuhi doesnt want any liability for lost money from a company due to something that may or may not be his program's fault.

I could completely understand that. Personally I'd call it like it should be: At your own risk :D

I could completely understand that. Personally I'd call it like it should be: At your own risk :D

I agree, but for the most part the heads of big companies don't see it that way. Sure they will fire the person responsible for putting the system in place, but then they will go after the person who wrote the system as well.