Totaly Wireless Domain

ethanmcf

is this because of the WiFi Cards, not automatically Conecting to the Network, before logon,

if not how can i make them connect

Yes it is. I had the same problem with my wife's machine on my home network. Hers is the only wireless workstation I have on the domain. Unfortunately, I can't remember what I did to make it work! I do know that on a reboot though she has to wait a minute or two for the wireless connection to be established before she logs in. Otherwise it logs her in with cached credentials and my logon script doesn't run to map any of the drives.

If I remember, if you have centrino or intel wifi chips, you can use Intel utility to manage the network and the utility has an option to connect to network before logon.

Otherwise,(if I remember again ^^), in XP there is an option to logon on domain without on network but authentification/sync profile/... procedure is checked later.

btw, I'm not DC user , so wait confirmations

If I remember, if you have centrino or intel wifi chips, you can use Intel utility to manage the network and the utility has an option to connect to network before logon.

You are correct, but you have to make sure you install that part of the driver. It doesn't install by default.

You must "Allow Windows to handle the wireless connection" instead of the vendor driver,

This way the network starts in time to let you log in with it...

Some WLAN cards may not let you do this, and Windows XP or later is required on the client.

Anyway, that is not a problem with the DC.

You must "Allow Windows to handle the wireless connection" instead of the vendor driver,

This way the network starts in time to let you log in with it...

This is the way I have my wife's wireless connection configured (Linksys WiFi NIC). She still has to wait at least a minute before logging in. If you're not running logon scripts (not GPO logon scripts, user logon scripts) then the wait isn't as crucial because the user will be logged in with cached credentials. However, this can still be an issue if you have expiring passwords (login with cached credentials but domain password has expired = resources unaccessable and no warning that your password has expired).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

@ethanmcf:

I know you have told us before, but I'm just thinking:

is it only the router which is far away from the offices?

Is it possible to wire the clients to the serverroom, and use a wireless bridge from there to the router?

Do they only use cell phones or are there telephone lines that can be used?

If the net is not several decades old, it might be be Cat5 which is OK for 100MB ethernet.

A CAT5 cable often has 4 pairs, of which the PC needs 2 (100MB max) and 2 left that you can use for a telephone and a spare.

(In norway and europe I think, at least with RJ45 sockets, usually have all 4 pairs are connected

at the socket even for 1 telephone outlet, to facilitate future expansions.)

Then you'd have wired access to the servers and DC, and only the router would be connected via the bridge.

Either that or use nmX.Memnoch's tip.

Users might find it irritating though, if they have to re-login if they where too fast and stuff like that.

• 10 months later...

Hi!

This is an old thread now, but I thought I'd offer another solution that might help in the wireless scenario we were discussing.

If you turn off "Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization", Windows XP will wait for network to be available,

and run login-tasks synchronously instead of asynchronously, but the network thing is interresting.

It can be deployed using GPO, but you can test it with the local policy;

Run gpedit.msc

Find "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

More info: KB305293

Cheers!

I know this is an old post... but problems like this always puzzle me.

Why have a DC wireless?It creates so many possible problems/issues.

Whats the point in having a server connection that has so much interference/possible faults?

Uptime of what 10%?

The router being far away is the most stupid reason I have heared in my life.

OPTION 1.

Run ONE cat5e cable to the router - a drum of Cat5e (300 Meters) costs like £22. Put a booster/switch inbetween when you start to have REALLY long lengths.

Offices I have setup in the past which span accross multpile floors can be easily cabled using a Patch Panel - and that involves lots and lots of floor/wall points for Data and Comms - We are talking ONE cable.

OPTION 2.

Run Telephone cable from where the current router is to the server?

This costs next to nothing.

If you cant handle that have BT or similar come and install a new phone point near the server - again costing around £100 for call out and parts.

OPTION 3.

Find a phone point nearer to the server and run an extension/cable from that

Using wireless as the router is too far away is like puting a light bulb into the socket and turning the house.

If you are having a DC in an area away from a router it makes me think it probally isnt a secure room - which puts the DC in danger of being played with by people who have no business doing so.

Cleaners love to unplug such things to get the hoovering done!

Honestly though - I think you need to sit down and Re-look at the setup in this kind of situation and apply some common sense.

God didnt create IT rooms for a laugh!.