Editing exe files with Resource Tuner

ethanmcf

Hello,

here im my problem :blushing:

I have been working on a custom install disc, and i would like to add my name or initials to the title bar of the programs i install

such as Windows Live messenger, so it will say like Windows live Messenger - Ethan McFenton.

How is this possible,

Thanks

Ethan :thumbup

I don't know Resource Tuner but you can search in the STRINGTABLE resource for the string you want to change. Other than that, I think you will need to play with disassembly and you'll be able to change some strings but not make it larger like you want.

Good luck

A better option would be to use a scripting program like AutoHotkey to actively change the title of any window or component you wish. Doing it this way has multiple advantages:

- You don't have to manually edit every exe

- Changing a title requires just 2 new lines for each program

- No risks involved

Here's a sample code to change some titles

Loop
{
If WinExist, Windows Live Messenger 8.1 BETA
WinSetTitle, Windows Live Messenger 8.1 BETA - Ethan McFenton

If WinExist, Notepad
WinSetTitle, Notepad - Ethan McFenton

Sleep, 100
}

Save it as something.ahk and set it to run when windows starts up. You can download AutoHotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com/

Ive Copied the source you supplied, and saved it as MSNTITLE.AHK, and then convered it to a exe to add to windows startup, but firstly it adds a icon to the taskbar, so can i hide that?

also, it stopped MSN from Starting up all together :(

Please help

thanks

Ethan

:D

Sorry but this is not the String Table I expected and for editing the exe directly it will be hard to find the good one (and I suspect that maybe the text is taken from the registry).

No luck

:}

Learn some basic reverse-engineering.

Find the window titles, the pointers to them, then move the strings to a more empty space and change them, then change the pointers to point to the new string.

Learn some basic reverse-engineering.

Find the window titles, the pointers to them, then move the strings to a more empty space and change them, then change the pointers to point to the new string.

Hi, i have no idea on what you are talking about, im new to this lol :)

Pointers? Reverse Engineering? lol, sorry i am a newbie to this.

Please Help

Thank you

Ethan

:D

:thumbup

@ LLXX: Thats not possible, as in this case, Windows Live Messenger uses bitmaps for showing that; its not even a real titlebar. So there's no strings involved either. Also, the bitmap for it isn't located under the standard resource section.

@ethan: Firstly, add #NoTrayIcon at the top of the script to prevent a tray icon from being shown. Btw, all this is documented in a very easy to read help file, so do have a look at it in your free time.

About Messenger, A-patch and Mess patcher for MSN have the option of turning of the "Windows Live Messenger" logo on the top; you could patch a copy of msn with just that particular patch and compare it with the original MSN. Then you'll know where exactly is that bitmap located and you could the use a standard image editor after extracting the resource.

An easier solution however, is still possible with AHK:

; Non-Intrusive Program Brander - by [deXter]

;-----Set the exact window title here-------
WindowName = Windows Live Messenger 8.1 BETA

;-----for loading the logo------------------
Gui, Add, Picture, x0 y0, ethan.bmp
DetectHiddenWindows on
WinWait, %A_ScriptName%
WinSet, TransColor, FF00FF
WinSet, AlwaysOnTop, On
DetectHiddenWindows off
Gui, +ToolWindow -Caption;-E0x40000

;-----wait for window to exist and show hide
;-----logo and move location as necessary---

Loop
{
IfWinEXist, %WindowName%
{
WinGet, WinState, MinMax, %WindowName%
If WinState <> -1
{
IfWinActive, %WindowName%
{
WinGetPos, X, Y, Width;--------------------------------------
Y := Y + 50 ;vertical (Y) and horizontal (X) cords
X := X + Width - 160 ;for logo. adjust if necessary

if (X <> %PrevX%) and (Y <> %PrevY%)
{
Gui, Show, w36 h12 x%X% y%Y% NoActivate

PrevX := X
PrevY := Y
}
}
else
Gui, Hide
}
else
Gui, Hide
}
else
Gui, Hide

Sleep, 100
}

This method is the least intrusive (and very compatible) way of branding a program, which involves absolutely NO modification of the original program or memory! Basically, what I'm doing here is creating an overlay and displaying it on top of the window. The overlay hides/shows and moves along with the target window so it appears as if the program itself has been modified.

It's pretty simple really. I created ethan.bmp as an example here. It uses standard pink (FF00FF) as the transparent color. ethan.bmp is loaded and a window is created. This window will be displayed on top of your apps as and when needed, without interfering with the app itself. You may edit this bitmap or put another one in its place, and hece you can even use some nice effects and stuff and not be limited by the plain ol titlebar.

Here's how this looks on WLM:

440mxae.png

ethan.bmp

Edited by [deXter]

wow, thats brilliant, thank you ever soo much :D

yay

by the way, where do i copy the image to, like where do i copy the ethan.bmp file?

Thank you, will try this right away,

well as soon as you reply :D lol

Thanks so much

Ethan :)