Samsung MP0804H

So I was looking through my Future Shop Boxing Week flyer and noticed a few things of interest. One item that caught my attention was an external laptop drive, Comstar 80GB drive, on sale for $89.99 plus tax (Click here to see!). When I hear of names like Comstar or something else a little more uncommon, I feel a little hesitant at first. I took a chance and went out to buy it this afternoon. To my surprise, there was a Samsung MP0804H drive in the enclosure, which after several searches seemed to be a great drive. So if anyone else in Canada is looking to buy a portable drive for music, software, pr0n, or whatever, head on over to your nearest Future Shop and buy this baby. I feel like this is a steal, since the drive alone on other sites is around $100 CAD.

I feel like this is a steal, since the drive alone on other sites is around $100 CAD.

Those housings are not that expensive, around 15 CAD.

The 2.5" drives seem to be okay. The 3.5" drives have problems with there power regulators on the print, they burn out or shortcut your PSU.

What I like about the 2.5" external housing is that you don’t need an extra power supply like the 3.5" housings.

Whoa... nice find gamehead! The Samsung drives aren't bad, and for $90, it's a pretty good price.

Yeah, it's a great drive! 10GB transfers in about 10-15 minutes @ 5400RPM!

Did you connect that on a USB2?

That´s not to fast, I do that almost on my network, those 10GB in 15 minutes. It should go faster then 16MB/s, I used Toshiba on USB2 and got max. 28MB/s, Avg. 25/26MB/s...

Edited by puntoMX

That´s not to fast, I do that almost on my network, those 10GB in 15 minutes. It should go faster then 16MB/s, I used Toshiba on USB2 and got max. 28MB/s, Avg. 25/26MB/s...

Was it a 5400RPM drive or 7200RPM? If it was 5400RPM, then I obviously miscalculated. However, I have been having problems with my USB ports recently.

No, they are 5400rpm 100GB drives.

I noticed then some USB ports on the frond of a case, mostly the cheaper cases, are just USB1.1 compatible so what I do is to tell my customers to use the ports on the back. Normally it should be the same but my experiences are different...

No, they are 5400rpm 100GB drives.

I noticed then some USB ports on the frond of a case, mostly the cheaper cases, are just USB1.1 compatible so what I do is to tell my customers to use the ports on the back. Normally it should be the same but my experiences are different...

Could be the hub I have. I know I'm using a USB2.0 port for sure.