How to temporarily turn off UAC for scripted installations ?

Hi !

I am starting to create a Vista Unattended DVD but there are a few things that I haven´t been able to figure out yet even though I have read quite a few Microsoft documents etc.

1. How can we turn off UAC temporarily for a scripted installation ?

Currently I have a cmd for each application that I install silently and which is called in Wihu. The cmd contains commands to install applications, import reg files etc.

A quick check in Vista shows that all the scripts immediately require an elevation prompt because UAC is active and therefore the script is not silent anymore.

2. Reg files do not get imported either, maybe thats because administrators do not have registry access anymore ? I read in a MS document somewhere that only the system account has full registry access in Vista.

How can a scripted installation of various applications be executed in Vista ? Since the installation DVD should be a WindowsXP/Vista dualboot DVD, it would be great if the commands added in the cmd´s would not disturb installation under XP.

Completely disabling UAC would require a restart and is not the goal here at least if possible. Does anyone have some experience yet with scripted installations in Vista ?

Also, I would like to know if some post installer tools like Wihu are compatible with Vista yet. Wihu unfortunately is not going to be updated anymore so I would have to find some alternative programs, any ideas ?

Thanks for your help !

Alex

Edited by midiboy

I run my own VistaUA program and have no problem doing anything all the way through cleanup and reboot. During that it allows all those things but if you exit it for anything uac takes back over. I mean I have a pause in my program if one wanted to pause and grab a screenshot thats ok, but don't quit the App Installer and try to restart it.

To turn it off..

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

To turn it back on...

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Guys,

thanks a lot for your replies !

maxXPsoft: Are you talking about VistaUA ? I would have to check it out but does it allow you to check/uncheck applications to be installed after Vista setup similar to Wihu etc. ?

Felix:

Thanks for those keys: BUT ... isn´t a restart required for them to take affect ? If not that would be cool but I fear that it won´t work if I simply add those keys into every cmd ...

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks for those keys: BUT ... isn´t a restart required for them to take affect ? If not that would be cool but I fear that it won´t work if I simply add those keys into every cmd ...

Thanks,

Alex

Yes it is - however if build this into your unattend installation - the first logon will have the UAC will be disabled. The alternative is to mount the image, then load the system hive and turn it off there so that it is always off - then when you first logon script the re-enable of UAC if you want it on.

There are lots of unattended options that you could use - however you will have to work out what is best for you.

Hope this information is helpful.