DRIVERCAB questions

daddydave

Some newbie questions from me

1. Do the names of subdirectories matter? Is it unnecessary to use the 000_CHIPSET, 001__VIDEO or whatever naming convention used by other methods I have read about? Do the CAB files themselves have subdirectories?

2. When using the DRIVERCAB method, does anyone, instead of extracting the drivers from the driver setups, extract the non-Microsoft drivers from its target computer's current drive configuration using something like Double Driver or IcemanND's Driver Backup (possibly manually merging drivers from multiple machines)? Does this have any chance of working (not on first try of course :lol: )?

Edited by daddydave

1) The DRIVERCAB feature handles subfolders, but everything is merged together into the "root" of DRIVER.CAB.

I remember you saying this now, I must have thought it was too good to be true. :D

And #2 I will try and report on and let people know how it goes.

2. When using the DRIVERCAB method, does anyone, instead of extracting the drivers from the driver setups, extract the non-Microsoft drivers from its target computer's current drive configuration using something like Double Driver or IcemanND's Driver Backup (possibly manually merging drivers from multiple machines)? Does this have any chance of working (not on first try of course :lol: )?

And yes, to answer my own question, I can confirm this does work for most drivers..sound, video, chipset, and ethernet card are all happy after a fresh install from a HFSLIP-WIN2K CD. HFSLIP rocks! I used DoubleDriver to back up all non-Microsoft drivers. Per IcemanND, DD misses some files, so that may be why my offbrand wireless card had to be manually installed.