Constant Windows File Overwrite Prompt After nLite Install?

Bleser

Hello all,

I used my first nLite-enabled Windows XP Pro installation (SP2 slipstreamed in along with some RAID drivers) and everything worked fine and dandy but Windows has an odd behavior that I haven't seen before.

Each time I install a driver or an application that potentially overwrites Windows system files, it tells me something like "Some Windows files have been replaced by newer versions. Insert the Windows CD to restore these files to their original copies. OK/Skip/Cancel".

Does this have something to do with the way SP2 was slipstreamed in? Did I skip an option in the nLite setup?

Any help is appreciated to make me understand why it is prompting me and what I can do to prevent/fix the situation.

Besides this problem, Windows is working great.

Edited by Bleser

Could you look in the main folder on your CD for a last session.ini file and post it please? that will help us to figure out the problem. Thanks.

I've edited my original post with both the Last Session.ini and Last Session_u.ini files.

I hope this helps!

Might want to remove the last session_u.ini as it has passwords in it.

First thing I would say to try is to upgrade to nlite 1.2.1 and import your last session.ini and apply that to a clean source.

If it still occurs, we can further troubleshoot from there.

Might want to remove the last session_u.ini as it has passwords in it.

First thing I would say to try is to upgrade to nlite 1.2.1 and import your last session.ini and apply that to a clean source.

If it still occurs, we can further troubleshoot from there.

Would I need to import my last session.ini, or can I just create a new nLite build using the version you specified?

Would nLite 1.3 Beta be OK?

Thanks for your help.

System File Checker (SFC) could be very anoying, turn it off ... if that's the case.

Hmmmm... this could be the culprit. What would be "wrong" with not having sfc enabled? How do I go about disabling it (just turn it off in Windows services?)?

Hi did you integrate IE 7 into the windows? I had the same problem as well but after I exclude IE 7 my windows now works fine. Not really sure though whether it's caused by IE 7. But worth to try I think.

Would I need to import my last session.ini, or can I just create a new nLite build using the version you specified?

Thanks for your help.

nlite 1.3 beta is fine too, but I would advise 1.2.1 only because it is not beta, and because User account creating doesnt work in 1.3 beta so theres other problems too..

I advise to import the last session.ini because that way we have the same setup between the 2 versions of nlite, however if you want to do a clean setup, that is fine too.

System File Checker (SFC) could be very anoying, turn it off ... if that's the case.

Hmmmm... this could be the culprit. What would be "wrong" with not having sfc enabled? How do I go about disabling it (just turn it off in Windows services?)?

You can turn off SFC, and that will solve the problem temporarily, but SFC shouldnt be popping up unless one of the files is truely modified, as in hacked in some way.

I cant remember exactly how to turn it off myself, in a running copy of windows, just google for "turn off windows file protection".. If you want to turn it off during and after install tho (have nlite do it) there is an option in 1.2.1 that will do it.

Theres nothing "wrong" with turning it off, but some people prefer the "protection" that it provides, ie if a virus overwrites one of those files, then WFP (as it is known now) restores it, and if your drive starts crashing, then wfp may kick in on a regular basis to restore files that got corrupted, which will say theres something wrong here and maybe i should look into buying a new drive.

Thanks for your help.

nlite 1.3 beta is fine too, but I would advise 1.2.1 only because it is not beta, and because User account creating doesnt work in 1.3 beta so theres other problems too..

I advise to import the last session.ini because that way we have the same setup between the 2 versions of nlite, however if you want to do a clean setup, that is fine too.

You can turn off SFC, and that will solve the problem temporarily, but SFC shouldnt be popping up unless one of the files is truely modified, as in hacked in some way.

I cant remember exactly how to turn it off myself, in a running copy of windows, just google for "turn off windows file protection".. If you want to turn it off during and after install tho (have nlite do it) there is an option in 1.2.1 that will do it.

Theres nothing "wrong" with turning it off, but some people prefer the "protection" that it provides, ie if a virus overwrites one of those files, then WFP (as it is known now) restores it, and if your drive starts crashing, then wfp may kick in on a regular basis to restore files that got corrupted, which will say theres something wrong here and maybe i should look into buying a new drive.

Thanks for all of your valuable information. I'll give 1.2.1 a whirl tonight and hope for the best.

Thanks again!

Hi did you integrate IE 7 into the windows? I had the same problem as well but after I exclude IE 7 my windows now works fine. Not really sure though whether it's caused by IE 7. But worth to try I think.

No, this build was pre-IE7.

I think the source of my problem was the failure for me to select "Disable" for the System File Checker (SFC) while setting up my first nLite build. I did another nLite build last night and peformed my install and not once did I get the error message in question.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Hey, I have the same problem as you.

I don't know if it is a product of this error, but I couldn't seem to install and properly run my webcam. do you happen to have tried working with a webcam?

edit note: this means that disabling the SFC may not be the end of your troubles.

Edited by hsadan

hi Bleser! precisely the use of disabling SFC! ;) ... should you like more info, you may want to give any or all of these a try:

On a different subject... SFCFILES.DLL by the way works on ALL versions of Windows, just to clear that up. SFC.DLL and SFC_OS.DLL are different matters entirely. You can use SFCFILES.DLL and no other modified binaries and SFC will be disabled. To recap, for the confused :D

To shut Windows File Protection off:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

No need for a modified SFCFILES.DLL

To disable Windows File Protection causing it to check an empty list:

Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

No need for a modified SFC*.DLL

For complete overkill, so that Windows File Protection is shut off AND has an empty list which it doesn't even check:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

AND Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

might likewise help if you delete .CAT files ...