cannot boot from cd

benneben

Help plz

I believe nLite can be extremely useful, but I cannot see it with my own two eyes

In attachment you can see what I choose to create a CD.

Now if I want to boot this disc, it simply doesn't do anything. Not even when I try to boot with the computer I burned the cd with.

I tried enabling/disabling UDF but that didn't do anything.

So next I checked the FAQ's, and i found this:

"My CD is not bootable, what to do?

You may try burning at lower speeds.

If that doesn't help then Google for "cdimage.exe", which is MS internal ISO creation tool.

Copy it where you installed nLite. Start nLite and go to the Make ISO page where it should indicate (CDIMAGE) on top of the page; remake it."

So I tried running it on 4X: doesn't work

Then I googled the internet and found cdimage.exe, I've put it in the nlite-folder under "Program Files", and restarted nlite.

But I can't see any difference in the ISO-menu

Can someone please help me? Did I misplaced the cdimage.exe-file, is it another option I have defined badly, is it the brand of my CD, is it because nlite only creates working discs by day, is it ... ?

Thx in advance

Ben Van den Bergh

Oh right, I tested with a standard xp-cd burned by the same system, and this boots... So I think it has to be something in the nlite-prog

nope, doesn't do that:

maybe more explanation needed:

when I let him boot from the CD, I get nothing, not even a blinking cursor

you hear the cd-drive starting to spin, but after a second or 2 he stops spinning and on the screen, nothing happens.

Very weird, I know

yep, retried with cold restart and with ctrl+alt+del

I'm at work now, but I am wondering for the moment about something:

I copied all files from the source CD to the source folder with ctrl+a & copy-paste, but maybe is it possible that there are a couple of files that aren't copied?

But then again, nlite should give errors when creating the image, and if not, I should get erros when booting the nlited cd. But on boot I get nothing, it simply doesn't show anything...

WEIRD!

i have the same problem with 1.2.1 in that the bootable discs created with it do not boot. i am using win xp x64. if i use the original windows disc it works fine. so definately a prob with 1.2.1

:}

Try 1.3 Beta1, there were some x64 issues fixed.

If you have an x64 machine, it may be issue with 1.2.1 Try to use some program to extract the boot sector from your original CD, and then use custom boot sector in nlite, and pick that one.

So did some tests yesterday...

- Installed CDimage & VMware & installed new nlite 1.3 version

- took all files from original cd, made image with cdimage -> worked

- took all files from original cd, made image with nlite -> doesn't work

- took all files form original cd, made modifs with nlite, then made image with cdimage -> doesn't work

next step will be

Speeddymon Posted Today, 03:58 AM

Try 1.3 Beta1, there were some x64 issues fixed.

If you have an x64 machine, it may be issue with 1.2.1 Try to use some program to extract the boot sector from your original CD, and then use custom boot sector in nlite, and pick that one.

I'll google my a** off, but does anyone know a good boot sector extractor?

Found ISObuster

will try out tonight

Hmm.. If the cd isnt working after being nlite'd even when being burned with some other prog, the only thing I could guess is it has something to do with x64 compatibility within nlite. Try isobuster, but I wouldnt get my hopes up now that I know that about nlite.

OK, it's solved now...

I found where I could use cdImage :blushing: Yeah I know, pretty embarrising at this point...

But for whomever has the same problem, it's in the drop-down box boot sector.

But then again, I tried it with default, and it worked also. So now I'm in the irritating situation of having the problem solved, but not knowing why and how. I guess it must have been a setting somewhere else in nlite, because the only thing I did differently was starting over with the config. Maybe it was somewhere in "Unattended".

Anyway, thx for all the help, and sorry for the idiotic solution :whistle:

And now on to the testing out this new crazy world :w00t:

• 3 months later...

I am trying to create a bootable iso with winxp 64 and it will not work. I have slipstreamed sp2 using Nlite. When I create the iso, there are many files that are missing. The autorun, setup.exe, and the rest of the files in the root of the cd are not being transfered to the iso. They are all there in the folder I chose for everything to be set up in though.

Found out what the problem is. I have added a folder inside my working folder, were I have placed software I will install after the windows install. Nlite does not seem to like this, as it will only make an iso with the folders, not what was in the root of my working folder.

I ended up burning my working folder after, using Nlite, with nero making a bootable dvd. Tried it last night, and know it works. I will be formating my system this weekend and will see how it goes.

Edited by hvactech