xp+vista=chkdsk errors

ripken204

ok, i just installed xp and now im dualbooting it with vista. but whenever i boot into xp, it wants to chkdsk on the vista partition, fixes stuff, and once in xp i cant see the vista partition? if i restart and boot to xp this happens again. but i can boot into vista just perfectly. and vista sees the xp partition just fine.

Edited by ripken204

I recall reading about the differences between the NTFS in XP and the NTFS in Vista - but with the demise of WinFS I sorta lost interest in it. I suspect that this is what's causing your problem.

Was this a clean install of XP, then a clean install of Vista to make the dual boot? If not, what did you upgrade to get there?

FYI - My Corsair flash drive (when used in Vista) is always coming up "corrupt" and Vista demands that it be allowed to fix it. Funny tho' - I never get these problems in XP and the drive works without issues there.

I can't remember the exact reason right now but this happens because the XP checkdisk does something to the Vista partition that keeps it from being seen from XP. Marks something as a bad or something that makes XP not really recognize the partition. The correct order of install for the dual boot should have been to install XP first then install Vista on a seperate drive. If you install Vista in a partition on the same physical drive with XP this problem with checkdisk can arise.

ok, i just installed xp and now im dualbooting it with vista. but whenever i boot into xp, it wants to chkdsk on the vista partition, fixes stuff, and once in xp i cant see the vista partition? if i restart and boot to xp this happens again. but i can boot into vista just perfectly. and vista sees the xp partition just fine.

Create a new partition on the flash drive with Vista then format it, not the other way around with XP.

I recall reading about the differences between the NTFS in XP and the NTFS in Vista - but with the demise of WinFS I sorta lost interest in it. I suspect that this is what's causing your problem.

Was this a clean install of XP, then a clean install of Vista to make the dual boot? If not, what did you upgrade to get there?

FYI - My Corsair flash drive (when used in Vista) is always coming up "corrupt" and Vista demands that it be allowed to fix it. Funny tho' - I never get these problems in XP and the drive works without issues there.