File display in win 98SE

GKMA01

I am using win 98SE . Within an application when I click to open files (from a menu) I do not get the display format I wish ( the one showing "Details" of files -- name , date etc) and have to click again to get it. I don't think I had to do this in the past. I have followed the instructions I found in Windows help and made the changes to select "details" BUT the change doesn't "stick" .

Anyone know how to solve my problem .It's not life threatening but it is very annoying.

Thanks

I tried this . I don't seem to have "Tools" but I got to View/ Folder Options/View and then clicked to make

all folders like the current folder(which I had set to "details") then closed out . Then found the "details" option still didn't stick.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks for your help.

I had this problem all the time when using Windows 98, I don't know what I did to get around it.

You could try this though, set the folder you want, then goto folder options and apply to all folders. Then tick the check mark "Remember each folder's view settings." (If its already on, turn it off, then back back on or vice versa)) Then click OK/Apply.

If that doesn't work, try pushing the Control key on the keyboard when you close the window. Make sure you have it setup the way you want though.

Hope that helps somewhat.

I think the suggestions made have helped .When I open windows explorer every folder and

subfolder I click on displays files is in Detail format . Fine .

However ,when I click on an application *.exe file to run a program and then from one of its menus

click on say "open file" , I then get files displaying but NOT in detail format . These files are in folders which

if DIRECTLY accessed from Windows Explorer (as in previous paragraph) would show the files in Detail format .

I have carefully checked the suggestions madeto see if I am missing something but can't find an an explanation !

I feel I'm getting close .

Anybody able to take me the last step ?

Thanks

There is an application called PDDLGHLP that when run on system startup will stay resident and preserve the look (and size) of the Open dialog. This program was part of PowerDesk Utilities 98 (?). If you want it, I can send it to you. :yes:

I think the suggestions made have helped .When I open windows explorer every folder and

subfolder I click on displays files is in Detail format . Fine .

However ,when I click on an application *.exe file to run a program and then from one of its menus

click on say "open file" , I then get files displaying but NOT in detail format . These files are in folders which

if DIRECTLY accessed from Windows Explorer (as in previous paragraph) would show the files in Detail format .

I have carefully checked the suggestions madeto see if I am missing something but can't find an an explanation !

I feel I'm getting close .

Anybody able to take me the last step ?

Thanks

The fopen dialog is I think in comdlg32.dll, it uses a syslistview32 control to display the filenames and the syslistview32 can be in a number of different viewing modes. It just sets the syslistview32 to small icons mode when it creates it, this can be easily changed through a bit of hex editing.

You might need to switch back to compact "small icons" mode when using special 'upgraded' Open dialogs, which can't be enlarged. (The enchanced Open/Save may lose functionality if the dialog in COMDLG32 is replaced with a larger one.)

Edited by j7n