Does nLite Over write old files over newer files?

ShahinD

So basically, as long as the IE7 versions of files have a higher version number than IE6 versions, then I dont have to worry about integrating RyanVM2.1.5 over the top of 2.1.4 with IE7. That is what I needed to know. I will try with a test CD and post results in a new topic.

So basically, as long as the IE7 versions of files have a higher version number than IE6 versions, then I dont have to worry about integrating RyanVM2.1.5 over the top of 2.1.4 with IE7.
as long older binaries are replaced by the newer ones, then it's fine :yes: as for RyanVM2.1.5 on top of 2.1.4, i think it is fine ... however, there was an older release that required for it to be uninstalled prior to using a newer release ... perhaps, tedious but since then that's what i've been doing when creating some test builds ...

So basically, as long as the IE7 versions of files have a higher version number than IE6 versions, then I dont have to worry about integrating RyanVM2.1.5 over the top of 2.1.4 with IE7.
as long older binaries are replaced by the newer ones, then it's fine :yes: as for RyanVM2.1.5 on top of 2.1.4, i think it is fine ...

I pretty much figured 2.1.5 on top of 2.1.4 was ok, since i did 2.1.4 on top of 2.1.3. My question was would there be a problem doing that if IE7 was integrated as well. I am testing this scenario right now on a Virt PC. No problems yet, but then again I wouldnt expect any since nlite actually asked me if I wanted to keep the newer file and I said yes. I'll post more later once I'm actually in windows on the Virt.

just use a clean source, you shouldn't really put packs on top of each other, since 2.1.5 has things that are in 214 that are now obsolete

unless ryan specifically says that a pack is ok to overwrite an older one

just use a clean source, you shouldn't really put packs on top of each other, since 2.1.5 has things that are in 214 that are now obsolete

unless ryan specifically says that a pack is ok to overwrite an older one

This is true, but since I had _just_ finalized my CD (prior to burning) when 2.1.5 came out I didnt want to have to redo all of the integrations and tweaks and unattended setup. Besides that, both nlite and RVM Integrator now process a section in the inf that deletes obsolete files, so technically speaking (as long as ryan makes his packs right, which he does for the most part), as far as I can tell the problems from integrating a pack on top of an old one shouldnt occur any more. As long as you dont do like I did and put IE7 in the mix, unless you know what you are doing.

bledd is pointing out something important : re-nliting and already nlited source may cause problems.

And patching and already patched source with a unofficial pack too.

(does not apply to official updates because fast nothing is changed with them)

I know, but like I said above, I had just made my source with all of the addons and 2.1.4 and didnt want to have to reintegrate.

-----------------------

To recap on the other thread that was mentioned, I took a source with SP2, put RVM 2.1.4 on it, put IE7 on it, and then put 2.1.5 over it, and kept newer files. That disabled tabbed browsing in IE, but no other problems. So I redid it with SP2 source, RVM 2.1.4, IE7, then 2.1.5 keeping newer files, and then IE7 again NOT keeping newer files. That time it worked as if I had done 2.1.5 and then IE7 on a clean source, in case anyone wants to know.

Edited by Speeddymon

the easiest way to keep an upto date copy of everything is to use $OEM$ folders for your programs, probably takes a bit longer to install because the programs aren't directly integrated

but its far easier to keep all things up to date and seperate from your xpdisc files

the easiest way to keep an upto date copy of everything is to use $OEM$ folders for your programs, probably takes a bit longer to install because the programs aren't directly integrated

but its far easier to keep all things up to date and seperate from your xpdisc files

I know I know, but I hate using $oem$ because of all of the stuff I install. I'd prefer to make a disc once every 3 months with the most up-to-date packs that are released. I'm not too worried about if the apps are 100% up to date on CD, just the Win Updates, and in between CD's I can just download them from Windows Update.