Firewire p***es me off. See why and help answer ?

XPerties

I just spent $570 on a new digital camcorder. (The wife was not happy) Anyways I thought I was able to transfer video from camcorder to pc with USB because it said UBS on it, but that is for the pictures (It's a digital camera and camcorder)...

But I it says its a IEEE 1394 (Firewire). Does anyone know if I'm able to use normal USB to transfer video over or should I just buy a add-on PCI card?

You need to buy a Firewire PCI card, thats very strange though as it has a seperate memory for the video and pictures.

Yah for pictures it uses memory sticks. Nice camcorder. Alright ordered a firewire card.

Thanks guys!

Seems like you got a Sony camcorder...

I have one too, and it used serial connection for pictures, and firewire for video.

But you seem to have a newer model (mine is 3 years old, paid it 1500$ canadian) with USB connection.

My guess is that the pictures are stored on the memory stick and the video on the "hard drive" and then are managed by two different parts of the firmware that were parched together. Also, I think that the USB connection is the 1.1 version, wich is way too slow for video capture. In fact, even actual USB 2.0 flavour is too slow.

Firewire is faster because it uses the bandwidth more efficiently than USB 2.0 and the cables are shielded, wich help having good speeds.

My suggestion is to put and add-on IEEE1394 PCI in your computer.

Seems like you got a Sony camcorder...

I have one too, and it used serial connection for pictures, and firewire for video.

But you seem to have a newer model (mine is 3 years old, paid it 1500$ canadian) with USB connection.

My guess is that the pictures are stored on the memory stick and the video on the "hard drive" and then are managed by two different parts of the firmware that were parched together. Also, I think that the USB connection is the 1.1 version, wich is way too slow for video capture. In fact, even actual USB 2.0 flavour is too slow.

Firewire is faster because it uses the bandwidth more efficiently than USB 2.0 and the cables are shielded, wich help having good speeds.

My suggestion is to put and add-on IEEE1394 PCI in your computer.

It's a samsung actually (which is owned by sony).

I've ordered the firewire card, should be here in a few days. I'm also going to order a card reader for one of my 3 1/2 bays once I get the firewire card.

Thanks for all your help. I'm looking to take a new hobbie and plan to tape all of our boys football games and then edit the sound and drop some heavy metal music with some effects. I think it will be cool as s***.

On top of that I'm planning on buying a dvd burner. Dam -/+ dvd burners are still pretty high. Although the + burners are around $100 bucks, but I'm not taking the chance that the dvd won't play in one of our dvd players.