Slow Reaction time?

s1m0n

I don't know if this is a serious problem with some people... (or maybe just my system), but sometimes, when i am saving image to my hdd, usually the 1st pic saved in a directory that has thousands of pics, the reaction in XP is slow. It kinda just sits there, thinking or something. NOt really a big problem, but I am impatient with this sort of things.

System Spec btw:

Athlon Tbird 1.02 GHz

PC150 512MB Ram

Windows XP Pro 2600 Final

Problem only seem to exist in IE6? Btw, I have the pre-Service Pack for IE6 installed. It happened before and still after the SP, so I guess that's nothing.

Any ideas would be cool.

have you packed your HDD up with software?

I've noticed when I packed it up to at least below half its capacity (i have a seagate 30gig -> 14.9gig) it takes a bit longer then usual to process data, if you have it packed up with stuff you dont need, remove some items..

60Gb it´s a lot.....I think now it´s too late:D but if you ever need to format the disk try to partition the disk in two or three parts...

You could get a significant speed improvement if you have lot´s of small files such as image files.....leting D: be the XP partition and using D: to save all these kind of files....

sorry i wasn't clear before, but i do have my hdd partitioned into 3 drives. specifically at 19547MB, 19547MB, and 19538MB. Drive C: IS my XP drive. I use my E: drive for downloads... although I have been slippin some files here and there into C: & D: cuz E: ran outta space, hehe.

It is recommended that u defrag ur hard drive often even every couple of weeks!!!, but a fragmented systems performance really suffers when a machine's paging file is fragmented,this would effect more then just the problem u are having at the moment. Large drives especially particianed drives can have problems access the paging files, depending on the amount of available free space on each of the particians. For example if C: is ur main drive and u are wishing to save a file on D: ........it may take some time for ur O/S on C: to access the D: as some of ur files may have become fragmented, which occurs on all hard drives when u are constantly access files. Do an disk defrag analysis and see what ur results are, but I dont think that ur problem will not be fixed by simply defragging ur drives but it may help!!!!!:blueteam

hrmm, thanks for your advice Unimatrix-Zero... well, to tell the truth, I am quite familiar with computers and stuff so I do defragment regularly... I am what people called "power user" hehe... I use Disk Keeper 7 to defragment... and for pagefile... I have none 'caused I disabled it (i have 512mb of ram...)

anyways, thanks for the input!

I don't think it is the hdd being full that is causing this problem, because i have have the same problem sometimes saving files gets hung for a sec. sometimes it takes the drives and other things to show up also using win explorer.