explorer.exe

bonestonne

From the sounds of it you've had a massive infection that's totalled the system. Let us know how the format and reinstall go. Cheers.

yea, it sucks because my parents don't use av/adware/spyware software at all. i got it working about 4:30 in the morning, but then when i woke up, it hung during boot, now i'm trying to install again...its murderous. its hanging on "press any key to boot" screen

ok, i wiped the hard drive nice and clean, its a 160GB WD ATA drive, my dad bought it, i have to use it.

how am i going to get windows XP Professional onto it?

i have XP SP1 and all the fancy boot disks. tried that, at the 6th boot disk, it hangs on Please wait...i'm not waiting a million years.

tried booting off CD and using SP2..well, it didn't even see the CD, just gave me the Operating System Not Found crap.

the nLite worked the first time, but then it failed to boot afterwards.

now it hangs after the Press Any Key to Boot message.

what am i to do? i have a BIOS update ready that i'm going to try on his computer, i'm already on the third floppy drive, the first two don't recognize the disks at all, this third one doesn't have a button on it, and i'm feeling a little awkward sticking my finger in to get the disk out and go on.

i may have one more to try...but i dunno.

Edited by bonestonne