SATA-150 and SATA 300

u just need to make sure that ur sata2 drive is set into sata1 mode, then you'll be fine

There is no SATA 1 mode.

?

Motherboards and hard drives that support Serial ATA have certain specifications that they conform to which determine the capabilities of each. Serial ATA is the protocol, regardless of which parts of the specifications they support.

Serial ATA is Serial ATA. There is no SATA I nor SATA II (See: Dispelling the Confusion). There is only SATA. A Serial ATA device can support any number of the functions of the protocol, including transfers of up to 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s. Wether a device is 3Gb/s capable and the motherboard is 1.5Gb/s capable, or vice versa, has no bearing on how they operate together. They communicate via the Serial ATA protocol.

It's no different then USB 1.1 vs USB 2.0. USB is USB, but USB 2.0 has a much higher transfer rate. Regardless of transfer rates, a USB 2.0 device talks just fine to a USB 1.1 port and vice versa. Obviously to get the maximum transfer rate, both device and port must be USB 2.0 to have the same feature set.

People often make the mistake to think that if a motherboard supports Serial ATA at 3Gb/s then it must support features that were developed with that revision of the protocol, such as NCQ. That simply isn't the case. A Serial ATA port can operate at 1.5Gb/s and support NCQ, and a Serial ATA port can operate at 3Gb/s and NOT support NCQ, and of course, a Serial ATA port can operate at 3Gb/s and support NCQ.

So it doesn't matter what type revision of Serial ATA the drive has or what revision of Serial ATA the motherboard has, they are fully interoperable. Transfer speeds will operate at the highest available commonly to both devices and features will be available which are commonly available between both devices as well.

If you combine a motherboard that supports 1.5Gb/s, NCQ and Hot Plugging with a hard drive that supports 3Gb/s, NCQ and Staggered Spin-Up, then 1.5Gb/s and NCQ are the only features that will be available since those are the only features that both devices have in common.

ya, i knew that. i have no clue where ur trying to go here. all i was saying is that he would have to set a jumper to make his sataII drive go into sataI mode(speed). otherwise the motherboard and drive wont work together. i never said anything about features not being there.

ya, i knew that. i have no clue where ur trying to go here. all i was saying is that he would have to set a jumper to make his sataII drive go into sataI mode(speed). otherwise the motherboard and drive wont work together. i never said anything about features not being there.

That's exactly my point, you don't need to set a jumper. You just plug it in, regardless of what revision of Serial ATA it is. The motherboard and hard drive will automatically adjust to each other. You ever set a jumper on a USB 2.0 device because it was a USB 1.1 port? Nope. Neither do you have to with Serial ATA hard drives.

All what i want to know, Will it work or not work?

Yes.

Serial ATA interface disc drives are designed for easy installation. It is not necessary to set any jumpers, terminators, or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector is for factory use only.
Source: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/how...all_tshoot.html
Western Digital Serial ATA hard drives ship from the factory with a jumper shunt in the

Default position (across pins 1 and 2). It is not necessary to move the jumper shunt on the

drive for workstation or desktop use.

Source: http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2779-001006.pdf

Again, you do not need to set a jumper on Serial ATA drives.

Edited by jcarle

Serial ATA interface disc drives are designed for easy installation. It is not necessary to set any jumpers, terminators, or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector is for factory use only.
Source: <a href="http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/how...all_tshoot.html" target="_blank">http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/how...all_tshoot.html</a>
Western Digital Serial ATA hard drives ship from the factory with a jumper shunt in the

Default position (across pins 1 and 2). It is not necessary to move the jumper shunt on the

drive for workstation or desktop use.

Source: <a href="http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2779-001006.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2779-001006.pdf</a>

Again, you do not need to set a jumper on Serial ATA drives.

Google claims that it's not quite that simple, some motherboards and\or sata chips only work with the jumper set to sata1. YMMV

well after doing more research, it appears that pretty much every sataII drive comes in sataI mode, and if u want sataII mode you need to set it to sataII mode thru jumper or a utility. but jcarle, why else would they allow you to change back to sataI mode if you didnt need to?

Edited by ripken204

well after doing more research, it appears that pretty much every sataII drive comes in sataI mode, and if u want sataII mode you need to set it to sataII mode thru jumper or a utility. but jcarle, why else would they allow you to change back to sataI mode if you didnt need to?

I suppose like all things in the world, things aren't perfect. Same reason you can go into your BIOS and force your USB 2.0 ports to function as USB 1.1. Some manufacturers don't respect standards and ajustments have to be made to increase compatiblity.