DVD To Ipod?

Nerwin

1. Rip DVD onto HDD

2. Use dgmpgdec to extract streams and audio

3. Use Nero's free aac/mp4 encoder and encode .wav into mp4

4. Install avisynth, write 1 line script to load .d2v that dgmpgdec created. e.g MPEG2Source("D:\Paparazzi\paparazzi.d2v")

5. Use worlds best, free h.264 decoder from x264.nl to encode video, x264 encoder supports avisynth so you will be able to load script you created.

6. To make encoding simple, write encode.cmd or something similar, on linux you'll have to write perl script, for example:

@echo off

x264.exe --pass 1 --bitrate 850 --stats ".stats" --ref 5 --mixed-refs --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --b-rdo --bime --weightb --direct auto --filter -2,-1 --subme 6 --trellis 1 --analyse all --8x8dct --vbv-maxrate 25000 --me umh --threads 2 --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --output NUL input.avs

x264.exe --pass 2 --bitrate 850 --stats ".stats" --ref 5 --mixed-refs --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --b-rdo --bime --weightb --direct auto --filter -2,-1 --subme 6 --trellis 1 --analyse all --8x8dct --vbv-maxrate 25000 --me umh --threads 2 --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --output video.mp4 input.avs

pause exit

With above options, iPod won't be able to decode that because those options are very powerful and that's a high profile. Get megui, export profiles and you'll find there profile for ipods, adjust bitrate at the end to so,ething like 400kbps.

7. Mux encoded audio mp4 with video mp4 using mp4box.

Is it really that hard? I know your not gonna do it because you'll use crappy one click solution but that's ok, because if you knew you wouldn't be asking such a question. I fell bad for Jeremy and couple of his posts pointing to doo9.org or videohelp.

I fell bad for Jeremy and couple of his posts pointing to doo9.org or videohelp.

Those two sites have a lot of excellent information. I've been working with DV for the last 5 years. I started out using garbage 1-click programs but those sites helped me gain knowledge about encoding DV to MPEG-2 and AVI. Since when is directing someone to two excellent sources of information a bad thing? :wacko:

Don't feel bad for me. You're obviously barking at others for not posting the superb knowledge that you apparently possess and feel it necessary to insult them for not knowing what you know. Too many people post on forums with questions relating to encoding/converting. If they went to those sites to begin with, they likely wouldn't need to create topics on forums since there are countless guides and topics already existing on this forum and several others.

Edited by Jeremy

Sorry if I sounded bad computerMan & Jeremy, try it out and see how it goes, videos that I converted look great on my ipod. Don't forget to crop image to 320x240 by simply using crop(0,0,-0,-0) in avisynth script :)

• 1 year later...