BCDEDIT! ARRRGH!

Hello friends,

I have to create a BCD file for my PXE boot server... but it isnt working.

This is a short part of info from the WAIK:

Bcdedit –createstore c:\BCD

This command doesnt work. I instead had to use

Bcdedit /createstore c:\BCD

C:\Windows\System32>Bcdedit /createstore c:\BCD

The operation completed successfully. neato.

Why did M$ put a -createstore when it should have been a /createstore ????

Now it gets worse:

Bcdedit –store C:\BCD –create {ramdiskoptions} /d “Ramdisk options”

I copy and paste that command into my console and this is the result:

C:\Windows\System32>Bcdedit -store C:\BCD -create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk o

ptions"

The specified command line is not valid.

Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

C:\Windows\System32>Bcdedit -store C:\BCD -create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk o

ptions"

The specified command line is not valid.

Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

OK wtf.

So I tried variations of this:

Bcdedit /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk options"

(the reason is because - seems to be / and the "Bcdedit -store C:\BCD" at the beginning seems to be more misguided junk

and I get:

C:\Windows\System32>Bcdedit /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk options"

An error occurred while attempting the specified create operation.

The specified entry already exists.

HOW does it already exist!!?? I didnt put that there!?? hahahah (I am going crazy!) :whistle:

I didnt even get this far:

Bcdedit –store C:\BCD –set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice boot

Bcdedit –store C:\BCD –set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi

Create the RAMDISK settings. For example,

Bcdedit –store C:\BCD –create {ramdiskoptions} /d “Ramdisk options”

Bcdedit –store C:\BCD –set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice boot

Bcdedit –store C:\BCD –set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi

I have been at this for 5 days now, reading the WAIK, trying variations, pxebooting bunk BCD files that cant find "boot.ini"

I PMed kennedto because he got it to work... he said he made scripts and he will post them, but I cannot wait to get this working and ive been frustrating myself because I'm stubborn like that.

All I really want for Christmas is real instructions (yes with the REAL commands IN ORDER) on how to buid a BCD store for PXE booting winpe2.0. That is ALL I want for christmas... I know ive gone nuts.

:}:wacko:

:lol::lol::lol:

I finally fingered it out.

I was using vista build 5744's bcdedit

In the WAIK guide everything turned out to be correct EXCEPT for a silly command

cd \temp\Windows\Boot\PXE

I dont know why that there....

once I created my own winpe2.0 BOOTABLE cd FROM the WAIK image wim everything worked.... it had a different Bcdedit.exe

And that bcdedit used a completely different set of commands.... thanks alot microsoft for telling me i could use my Vista OR winPE2.0.... that was simply NOT the case here.

I still havent tried to PXEboot the new BCD yet, so if I run into any more issues I'll just keep posting in this thread.

:w00t::whistle:

Well, I should not celebrate.. the last 3 commands didnt work.

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –create {bootmgr} /d “Windows VISTA BootManager” /inherit {dbgsettings}

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –set {bootmgr} timeout 30

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –set displayorder {guid1} {guid2} ... ;

Freakin yippee... back to the &%^%#& drawing board. :whistle:

why do you even have to edit the BCD?

"I have to create a BCD file for my PXE boot server"

:realmad:

perhaps if you broke it up a little

bcdedit /timeout 3

bcdedit /default {ntldr} <<XP

works

Works for building a BCD file to PXE boot winpe??? cuz it looks to me like your making up a XP/NTLDR combo and that is NOT what im talking about/needing.... :angel

hint: "bcdedit /? /addfirst"

took me a lot of time til I had figured out that the last command line in the docs is wrong. At least for me that worked out too a BCD that allows to PXE boot WinPE 2.0.

I really dont see what your saying man... "use the man page" isnt really very helpful for everyone. ;)

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –create {bootmgr} /d “Windows VISTA BootManager” /inherit {dbgsettings}

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –set {bootmgr} timeout 30

Bcdedit –store c:\BCD –set displayorder {guid1} {guid2} ... ;

Similar to this format above..

Please help.

Pixieboots - I've just wasted most of my morning screwing around with bcdedit, and it turned out that like you I was using the version on Vista RC2. Very frustrating. Even worse, I didn't check this forum!

One problem - presumably this means you can actually only have a single PE 2.0 image if you do it this way, because it will always try to load the bootfiles from tftproot/boot. I'm using 2003 RIS to serve the image.

I can only seem to find the BDD 2007 beta, even though I'm a volume licence customer. I rang MS today and they had no idea where I could get it. The beta version seems to be missing WDS and it doesn't have that documentation about booting via a PXE server. Where did you get yours?

Pixieboots - I've just wasted most of my morning screwing around with bcdedit, and it turned out that like you I was using the version on Vista RC2. Very frustrating. Even worse, I didn't check this forum!

One problem - presumably this means you can actually only have a single PE 2.0 image if you do it this way, because it will always try to load the bootfiles from tftproot/boot. I'm using 2003 RIS to serve the image.

I can only seem to find the BDD 2007 beta, even though I'm a volume licence customer. I rang MS today and they had no idea where I could get it. The beta version seems to be missing WDS and it doesn't have that documentation about booting via a PXE server. Where did you get yours?

I got mine from the same place as the fellow who responded below you....

BTW guys I tried VistaBootPro... and I see nowhere on it where you can configure it to boot the wim......

Mainly because you can choose "Add new operating system entry" but then you are forced to choose to load it from a drive letter... a grave mistake if your trying to load from /Boot nuff said.

am I missing something?

BTW buddy, I'm glad my post here saved ya some time... after you get your WAIK downloaded let me know if you could manage to do this:

Follow this guys steps ->>> flimflan.com/blog thanks josh!

Then if you can get PXE booted winpe2.0 then post the BCD file!!!! (its NOT illegal to post)

Thanks!

-pixieboots

Edited by pixieboots