Change User folder location

Marthax

This solution is so easy I could kick myself for not finding it sooner. :blushing:

For this example the user you want to move is named "thisonehere"

You must have been logged on at least once with this user name.

Logon as Administrator

run regedit

find profile for this user by navagiting to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList]

Under this there will be several sub keys you are looking for the ones with the long string at the end. My administrator looks like this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-3636477636-408199089-4032454623-500

"thisuserhere" is this one HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-3636477636-408199089-4032454623-1005

Hint: Administrator ends with -500 each user created has a number higher last user created has the highest.

You can find which one belongs to the user you want by just clicking on them until you see the one with your username in it. So now to the change

Inside the correct key you will see

ProfileImagePath=c:\Users\thisonehere

I want to have my folders located in d:\Stored so I change it to

ProfileImagePath=d:\Stored\thisonehere

exit regedit

Now in windows explorer move the folder thisonehere from c:\Users\thisonehere to d:\Stored\thisonehere

Thats it next time you logon as thisonehere your files are now all on D and all shortcuts in Windows Explorer point to that new location.

Happy modding.... :thumbup

Edited by Ghostie

• 10 months later...

In case anyone else was like me & Ghostie's instructions failed miserably (obviously, there can't be too many as its been nearly a year since the last post), I used the instructions found here: http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/...ation-in-vista/

and it worked like a charm.

I have absolutely no idea why Ghosties instructions didn't work, but for me they didn't