Windows XP SP2 Firewall Problem

Drazick

Hello.

I have a problem with the firewall.

If I open a specific port (let's say 6346) both UDP and TCP it won't work.

Yet, if I unblock the program which uses those ports (Shareaza) when I run it the ports are opened.

Why? Why can't I just leave them open?

Thanks.

Yes, that's the way it works.

So how come when I try the test (Which tries to access a given port) it still doesn't work?

Thanks.

Did you have the program running? Even if it's open, it may still be stealthed by the firewall, or your ISP.

Yes, that's the way it works.

So how come when I try the test (Which tries to access a given port) it still doesn't work?

Thanks.

Did you have the program running? Even if it's open, it may still be stealthed by the firewall, or your ISP.

Why do I need it to run? I defined a 6346 port to be open, checked it and it won't work, even if the program is running. Unless I define it to be unblocked... But I don't, I want to open the ports manually.

Thanks.

You people that create identical threads deserve to get banned.

Although I have no power to decide this as I am simply a user... could a moderator please merge these two threads?

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87998

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87999

Sorry, Noticed the network forum a sec after posting this one.

Sorry, Noticed the network forum a sec after posting this one.

Next time do NOT create a duplicate thread, instead, PM a mod and ask them to move the thread into the proper forum. It will avoid a lot of frustration for everyone.

The other thread has been closed. Please don't create multiple threads for the same problem. Like you can see, you've got answers in both, and it only makes it harder to find the right information.

We're not always so fortunate to have a router at our disposal. I'm writing this from my university, which has it's own wireless network (which I have no control over). Some people might want something to keep random people out.

As I posted in the closed thread, you need to make sure Shareza is running when you make the exception for the port, because the Firewall will not open the port for listening unless the backing program is running. This is why you should use program exceptions rather than port exceptions, unless the program is an always-on service (in which case port-based exceptions are fine). Is there a particular reason you need to open the port, and not except the application? It seems silly to me to possibly open a port wide open on a machine at all times, rather than just when the app that's using the ports is running. Just questioning - maybe there is a good reason.

Seriously though, you shouldn't use the windows xp firewall. No matter what anyone else says, it's not as good as some of the freeware stuff that's been mentioned before. You would be more protected using a thirdparty program, especially when dealing with P2P networks.