Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

footballking3420

I'm thinking about removing this with nLite, but from what it says on the ElderGeeks website about it, I'm a bit afraid that it'll either mess my PC up or get me a bunch of viruses, spyware, worms, etc.

How important is this service? Do I need a firewall if I'm running FireFox and not Internet Explorer?

All the info and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Even with not using IE I would still recommend a firewall in most instances. Run a machine in my environment without a firewall and you will be infected and have an unusable machine within 15 minutes.

Students gotta love em.

All the firewalls I have used are resource hogs and I don't have that much to be using actually. I only go to a hand full of sites, like 10 or so.

Not wanting to make a whole different topic or anything so I hope I can ask this question as well. What exactly needs Windows Management Instrumentation? other than what is stated in nLite of course.

I'm thinking about removing this with nLite, but from what it says on the ElderGeeks website about it, I'm a bit afraid that it'll either mess my PC up or get me a bunch of viruses, spyware, worms, etc.

Just leave it alone. It doesn't take up any resources by running and isn't very big anyway. And yes, you should have a firewall of some kind, but Windows Firewall is not good enough these days. it's targeted by much spyware and viruses. Go purchase a router. Then use computer sense. Then use Opera. Good to go.

I already have a router, use common sense when using the internet (hence, I only go to a handful of sites so I know where I'm going), and I use FireFox at the moment, but will switch to Opera since it's the most secure of the big three. Also, I already slipstream the Windows Update fixes into my install using nLite so I don't have as many holes from the get go.