Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

Some people are unable to get their IE&OE patches installed for some reason. I don't know why to be honest.

There are two different versions of both files. One for IE 6, and one for IE 6 SP1 (and similar for OE).

You can check by searching microsoft.com for 828750 for the IE fix, and 330994 for OE; you'll get 2 different downloads.

This puzzled me for a while as well, until i tried to just run the fix in Windows. It then told me i had an incorrect version of IE6.

btw maybe it's a good idea to update the Hotfixes list with this.

New Update added to the list!

November 2003, Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer

If you're wondering why "Buffer Overrun in the Workstation Service Could Allow Code Execution (828749)" hasn't been added, its because this is for Windows 2000. Windows XP's update for the same flaw was released under KB828035.

if you are using the old way of installing the updates you can use this following code.

ECHO (1) Installing 824145 November 2003, Cumulative Patch for IE6...
start /wait %PATHTOFIXES%\q824145.exe /Q:A /R:N

yes it is type 2. When you run qfecheck it doesn't appear in the list but windows updates doesn't see it. (see attached log file.)

EDIT: see here for the security Bulletin info.

Has anyone tried using the svcpack.inf (slipstream) method to upgrade a Windows 2000 system to Windows XP Pro SP1?

I've gotten all the patches to install fine from a fresh install, but upgrading seems to leave the system with one or two patches showing up as installed as far as Add/Remove programs and Windows Update is concerned. (QFECheck on the other hand says many more are installed, but still not all)

I am a network administrator trying to deploy Windows XP to over 50 Windows 2000 machines and I'd much rather have a completely patched system at the end of the installation than to have to go around and repatch them after the install. (Especially sense we still have Welchia floating around the network.)

Thanks,

David Woodward