HomePlugs

eggie

Hey,

My dad wants to set up a network at home and he's found these HomePlug things were they use the home electrical wiring to transmit data.

I though there may be a problem with interference but I've not found anything on the internet.

Has anyone had any experience with these things with good/bad results.

Cheers

I've used them successfully. They aren't very fast but I've had good luck with them in environments where wireless wasn't working out for me. The speed is fine for general network activities like checking email and casual surfing but don't expect to do much LAN gaming.

People say that all the time but the speed hasn't varied much for me in my experience. I still get slow speed whether it is a small, private apartment or a large, noisy (in the electrical sense) building with *very* old wiring. It supposedly tops out at 14mbps anyway so the variance doesn't really matter much.

iv used loads of the 85mps homeplugs and they are fantastic i would definatly recommend them. iv had DHCP, networked printers emails - you name it, everything working over these flawlessly. :thumbup

the only thing to check is if your house is all on the same mains circuit, and dont forget to encrypt the traffic!

cheers