Bootable CD problem

Dondi

First, thank you I just Nuhi! nLite is a truly remarkable program.

I just downloaded the latest version to try and create a WinXP Pro install CD with SP2 and SATA support. I am using an OEM Win XP CD and just adding SP2 and Silicon Image 3x12 SATA driver. Nothing else. When I get to the Bootable ISO page, I select my CDROM drive with fresh CD-R media, then choose the following settings: Direct Burn Mode, Maximum Burn speed, Default ISO Engine and Boot sector settings, and Verify. I then click Burn. The process advances with no apparent issues but then terminates with the following message: "Write Failed! Hardware Error 9216". I have searched the forum but found nothing. Please help, my PC has been down for 2 days and I'm about to go mad! Thx,

Dondi.

Maximum Burn speed

As a rule of thumb, even if you already burned that exact type of iso on that same hardware with success, always try with lowest possible burn speed, hit OK and go take a walk, sometimes burning at high speeds lead to errors or, even if burn is successful, to a CD that does not boot on anothe rreader/PC.

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz! I changed burn speed to 16x and problem was solved. The PC boots from the CD and launches WinXP setup now.

However, there is a new problem: dispite adding the SATA driver, setup still does not see the SATA drive (even though BIOS does).

When I reboot and try pressing F6 to load the SATA driver, setup looks for a floppy drive the way it normally does.

So, I am back to where I was originally with the native Win XP Pro CD and SATA problem.

Any suggestions?

I have EXACTLY the same issue at the moment...

my vendor (Alienware australia) suggested I use nlite to add the driver to the install cd.

I have done exactly as instructed and as you described but the install still cannot detect my sata drive.

does anyone know of a generic inf/driver that works everytime for this ???

However, there is a new problem: dispite adding the SATA driver, setup still does not see the SATA drive (even though BIOS does).

When I reboot and try pressing F6 to load the SATA driver, setup looks for a floppy drive the way it normally does.

Setup not see the drivers because you are pressing F6. ,You should NOT push F6 during install, and, assuming you have integrated the drivers into nLite correctly, they will automatically install during setup.

does anyone know of a generic inf/driver that works everytime for this ???

the driver needs to match your chipset

Setup not see the drivers because you are pressing F6. ,You should NOT push F6 during install, and, assuming you have integrated the drivers into nLite correctly, they will automatically install during setup.

I tried ignoring the F6 option multiple times, but the system can not see the SATA drive. It only sees the SATA drive when I press F6 with the Floppy drive connected. It then allows me tp select the Windows XP driver. It then copies the driver plus a bunch of files from the CDROM. After a while it asks to insert the Silicon Image Sil 3x12 SATALink installation disk in Drive A, then press Enter. However, pressing enter does nothing at all. I am using a USB floppy drive so this may be a problem -- however the drive is recognized and accessed earlier in the process so I'm not sure if this is the problem.

This has been a complete waste of time so far. I really hope there is a way to get past this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dondi.

Dondi, did you integrated the drivers as the textmode or pnp type?

And what did you select from the list.

Also if you did post the link to that driver, thx.

Thanks for the assistance nuhi.

I integrated the driver as textmode and selected the Windows XP/Server 2003 option. I downloaded the driver from here: http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-vist...-logo-13670.zip

I picked the newest non-RAID driver because I only have one SATA drive and I am not using a RAID configuration.

Dondi.