Free Vista For Beta Testers

gunsmokingman

I'm p***ed because I tested Office 2007 and we got NOTHING.

I've been beta testing with Microsoft for A LONG time and I don't expect to get anything but when something this big gets given out to testers and the other, almost equally big, testers get nothing.

Ah well, crap happens I guess.

I'm even more p**sed off because MS turned down my application to the Vista Beta program, but let me into the Server 2003 SP2 and WLM programs. Looks like they don't want me testing anything interesting :angry:

Now I have to use Vista like a common software pirate (ok, using my beta keys) and then paying for a £300 upgrade in January. My reward for giving them tons of feedback.

Not a happy bunny.

From the MSFN home page, the news article - states: "...because Microsoft never used to give keys as a "thank you" gift to testers."

This is not entirely correct. I've been testing since WinNT and have always received a free complimentary copy with retail keys. I got free copies for WinNT, win2k, win95, win98, win98SE, winME, winXP, and now Vista. Some of them were available as downloads and some were shipped to me on CD. It was the level of involvement that determined (basically the number of bugs submitted) if you got a free copy and keys or not. This is just the first time that MS has made a free complimentary copy and keys available to anyone who just filed a single bug in an OS beta.

r3loaded;

I'm a little confused, you said "(ok, using my beta keys)". If you received beta keys as a Technical beta Tester on the Connect site (not the ones for the public beta preview distribution) then you were a valid beta tester so if you filed at least one bug against Vista you should receive your free complimentary copy and keys. If this is so then read up a little for information on how to do this.

And...if your not using the public beta preview keys and got keys as a beta tester then why do you think they turned you down for the beta?

I'm even more p**sed off because MS turned down my application to the Vista Beta program, but let me into the Server 2003 SP2 and WLM programs. Looks like they don't want me testing anything interesting :angry:

Now I have to use Vista like a common software pirate (ok, using my beta keys) and then paying for a £300 upgrade in January. My reward for giving them tons of feedback.

Not a happy bunny.

o'well, personally i'm not that bothered, But i think to all testers it would be fair to say give a 20% discount coupon or something, however I disagree that because i tested it i should get free final version! but it would be cool! :P

I am annoyed by the pricing of vista however :P It just means i won't be buying ultimate!

Its not so low, all you need to do is apply to become a beta tester. But you have a few years as Vienna is not slated to roll out until 2012 so they might start the beta around 2010.

Maybe I can get on with Vienna when it goes to Connect :) Although the chances of them doing this with Vienna are astronomically low...

I've been a member of BetaPlace and then connect for a few years and have tested a few small projects (like Microsoft Graphing Calculator, which I think is now bundled with something or another, and Windows Live Mail from the start [you should have seen it a year ago compared to now]), so maybe I'll be lucky. And I surely hope it goes to beta before 2010... they promised they wouldn't take five years to do this again! According to everyone's favorite wiki, it is due 2008-2012, but I doubt it will be before '10 unless they get on the ball real soon. But anyway, being an early CPP tester of this and a very long time tester of the new Hotmail, maybe they'll invite me.

And I checked the Connect site more than once... but there was never an option to try out for Vista.

Edited by WBHoenig

If you were a TBT (see farther up) for Vista and you submitted at least one bug actually against Vista at any time during the beta you should have received an email about this. If not, also read further up for what to do. You said "I've been in since Beta 2"....you mean you were actually a TBT for Vista and you just started testing at beta2 ?

I've been in since Beta 2 and submitted a couple of bug reports. No free Vista for me though? That stinks. Oh well.
Edited by Spooky