Bigger and stronger antenna for 802.11b router...

gamehead200

OK, guys...

I finally went out to Future Shop (owned by Best Buy), and bought myself:

- 1 Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b Wireless Access Point Router

- 2 Linksys Wireless PC Cards

Even though it took me a whole lot of time to set these up (because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing), it was worth it...

Now, the reason I got this was for my father and I to access Internet in each of our rooms and the kitchen...

I put the router in my BASEMENT, since thats where everything else is located, but, I was wondering what kind of antenna I could buy that would connect to my Linksys router so that the signal strength would increase in my room (where there is hardly any signal) and in the kitchen...

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

(BTW, this thread was started on my wireless laptop!) :)

Congrats on the new setup..

First the one thing that you want to understand is that at the frequency that you wireless is running is what they call "line of site". Of course this meaning if you can see it you can talk to it. This in theory works well. But I would think that in your case with the router in the basement and knowing the way antennas work you have most of your home in the blind spot of the antennas. I would think that the best thing you can do is to move the router say to a shelf in a closet as close to the center of the house as you can. This would put the router in the path of the areas needing to be accessed the most. The cost of doing this would be what ever it takes to get the router to the proper location.

Trying to install new antennas to work correctly at the frequency being used by the router is another science in it's self......

:)

Congrats on the new setup..

First the one thing that you want to understand is that at the frequency that you wireless is running is what they call "line of site". Of course this meaning if you can see it you can talk to it. This in theory works well. But I would think that in your case with the router in the basement and knowing the way antennas work you have most of your home in the blind spot of the antennas. I would think that the best thing you can do is to move the router say to a shelf in a closet as close to the center of the house as you can. This would put the router in the path of the areas needing to be accessed the most. The cost of doing this would be what ever it takes to get the router to the proper location.

Trying to install new antennas to work correctly at the frequency being used by the router is another science in it's self......

:rolleyes:

Thanks for that suggestion, Tinker...

But as my house is wired, I only have two DIRECT connections to my main phone line...

1. My house phones are all connected to a central unit that is connected to the main line.

2. My modem has a direct connection to the main line, so, I don't think I would want a huge wire going to a closet that's noticeable...

How about a Linksys Signal Booster?

Oh yea, and what's funny about my setup is that while I'm in the kitchen, and I have my laptop on my kitchen table, the signal is "LOW", but if I move it to the other side of the table, the signal is "GOOD" or sometimes "VERY GOOD"...

This seems quite strange to me...Any suggestions? :)