Need some Beta Testers

sevenalive

Why create a new topic when there's already one you could have bumped?

Don't want to come across as rude but... I wouldn't expect much more interest. Name hasn't changed (I think it was fairly easy to tell from last thread it's not exactly great - it's not a good sign when you have to put signs up saying it's "not the virus/...") And the app itself looks like a rather poor clone of sysinternals process explorer.

Process Explorer:

-has a far better name and is trusted (works fine/reliable, created by windows internals experts)

-has a hierarchical process list

-has the bottom pane to show what's opened by it

-has several times more features/information about processes (yours has like only half of the "Performance" tab's infos only)

-has a far better GUI

-is far more customizable

-can draw some graphs for several things

-is tested and is stable

-is totally free (another app would have to be exceptionally good for me to consider paying for it!)

-is already heavy enough on resources

-is already well known and used by most people who need such a tool

Why create a new topic when there's already one you could have bumped?

Don't want to come across as rude but... I wouldn't expect much more interest. Name hasn't changed (I think it was fairly easy to tell from last thread it's not exactly great - it's not a good sign when you have to put signs up saying it's "not the virus/...") And the app itself looks like a rather poor clone of sysinternals process explorer.

Process Explorer:

-has a far better name and is trusted (works fine/reliable, created by windows internals experts)

-has a hierarchical process list

-has the bottom pane to show what's opened by it

-has several times more features/information about processes (yours has like only half of the "Performance" tab's infos only)

-has a far better GUI

-is far more customizable

-can draw some graphs for several things

-is tested and is stable

-is totally free (another app would have to be exceptionally good for me to consider paying for it!)

-is already heavy enough on resources

-is already well known and used by most people who need such a tool

-doesn't require .NET B)

It looks like this software is just a clone of Windows' Task Manager, and a poor one at that.

Edited by LLXX

Ok, well i never heard of or seen Process Explorer, so i didn't rip anything. But you are right, it has alot more features.

But you gotta remember, how can i compete with M$.

I also still haven't found a good name.

Oh and believe me, it will require .Net someday, M$ is starting to be big on .Net.

maybe i will just stop development, delete the source files, and start on new projects.

Maybe i can further develop Blacklist (prevents and Blocks any* process you specify from running)

and.

Pipeline - Advanced Data Sync program.

and i will make them free, there is so much piracy going on, it doesn't matter anyway.

Can someone delete this thread?

Edited by Seven Alive

Ok, well i never heard of or seen Process Explorer, so i didn't rip anything. But you are right, it has alot more features.

I didn't accuse you of ripping anything, just saying it seemed like much the same, only with less features.

But you gotta remember, how can i compete with M$.

Sys Internals is only owned by MS as of last month or something (a few months at most anyways). So you haven't really been competing with MS.

Oh and believe me, it will require .Net someday, M$ is starting to be big on .Net.

.NET is built in Vista, and most people are going to install it on XP so they can use WPF apps and what not eventually. I have nothing against it (I'm actually a C# dev). It's just the one person that chimes in every time someone pronounces ".NET" and whines about the "bloat" and such, and how everything should be coded in hand-optimized asm instead... Like a broken record from the last century, missing his CP/M era, punch cards, and walking in the snow uphill both ways, and how everything's changed for the worst since then (d*mn kids, get off my lawn!) It's getting really tiring to hear the same old whining constantly IMO. If someone doesn't like .NET, they might as well switch to linux, because that's where most development on windows is headed (that, or keep their old OS and old apps for a very, very long time and eventually be totally obsolete). That's the new development platform pushed by Redmond, and much of the new stuff (like WPF for instance) only works with .NET (no backward compatibility of any kind). Adoption is nearly exponential.

maybe i will just stop development, delete the source files, and start on new projects.

That just might be the best thing to do... If it doesn't fill a need, or that you can't profit from it/can't compete with the existing solutions, there's no point in wasting time over it. If you want to become a successful micro ISV you have to do a lot of work in that field... It's hard to find genuinely good ideas for software.

Maybe i can further develop Blacklist (prevents and Blocks any* process you specify from running)

In over 20 years of computing, I have never needed that one, nor wished I had the possibility to do so. And there are already some apps that control processes like ProcessGuard and such. I honestly can't think of much people who will need to "blacklist" processes enough that they will want to pay for this. And you'd have to have more features than ProcessGuard, and preferably for less $.

Pipeline - Advanced Data Sync program.

Again, there's already lots of programs that do sync'ing. There's a bunch free ones, and countless commercial alternatives (lots being inexpensive). You're fighting a battle in a already established market with LOTS of competitors. Unless you're sure you can bring more features for cheaper...

It's hard to make money selling shareware and such (even disregarding piracy). It's VERY hard to come up with the idea to solve a problem (what to do/finding a niche), a good name for it, get it known (publicity), establish the perfect price point to maximize profit (profit vs volume), improving it all the time and staying ahead once competition appears, doing support and QA, and all the "running a micro ISV" part (accounting, marketing, and such "business" things programmer-types don't like and aren't inherently good at).

Your right about blacklist, i wouldn't use it, lol.

What i have in mind for Pipeline is pretty cool, which will be portable, so you can store it on a device and still be able to sync, can be automoted, Various settings and solutions.

Here is one feature i havent seen too much with other apps.

Ability to sync mutiple Files/Folders/Drives all in one process.

usually you have to change the source and destination, or load a profile.

As i said before though, i am going freeware.