Start-menu favourites

Hello,

After my unattended installation completes, i have 3 items listed as favourites on my start-menu...

• Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
  • Windows Movie Maker
  • Windows Media Player

Is there anyway i can clear these items, i don't want to disable the favourites feature but perhaps there's a regedit that clears the list?

Please advise.

Edited by just_laze

what will it matter if these entries exist there or not

He doesn't want them there, just that simple. I find them equally useless and distracting. My advice would be "work with RegSnap" to clear the list. And perhaps do some searching. I can't believe this one has not already been asked and answered.

Hello MGadAllah,

Because it's messy to leave them there?

On first boot (or second if such a registry entry requires a reboot to take) i want my start-menu to look unused, clean, as if it hasn't been used. With 3 programs listed as recently run it doesn't so i want them removed.

Anyone?

Create a reg file with these entries. Run it on your current system,log off then back on.

I hope it has no side effects if applied while unattended.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]"FavoritesResolve"=-

"Favorites"=-

"ProgramsCache"=-

This is what I use to completely clear the start menu, along the lines of Mazin's suggestion:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]"FavoritesChanges"=dword:00000002

"ProgramsCache"=hex:ff

"FavoritesResolve"=hex:ff

"Favorites"=hex:ff

I'll say it again . . . if you really want to do this, you're probably going to need to play around with RegSnap.

Edit: I run this after first logon via an AutoIt script followed by a reboot (together with a bunch of other stuff), not certain about cmdlines.txt. Maybe give it a go and post back with your results?

Edited by blinkdt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...