Slipstream vs Integrate

Kiki Burgh

hi all!

The terminology of slipstream and integration is a little loose and a lot of time people say integration when they actually mean slipstream. As far as i know nlite slipstreames all SP, hotfixes and IE7 but refers to them as integration.
... (pardon me studguy1 if i quoted you ... i could actually quote others ... but yours is more convenient :) ) since there seems to a little confusion about the 2 terms ... even different websites use these terms interchangeably ... what are the differences truly? there may be differences in usage here ... what probably makes it confusing too is the use of /integrate command-line switch for the Update.exe program ... as an aside too, perhaps a distinction between what our HFSLIP does either differently or similarly with other programs (i.e., nLite, RVM integrator)

from our very own hfslip.org ...

What is HFSLIP?

In a nutshell... HFSLIP is an open source utility designed to update a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 installation source with the latest hotfixes. The binaries (individual files) of fully supported hotfixes are slipstreamed directly. This means that original files are being replaced with the newer versions present in the hotfix executables you can obtain from the Microsoft Download Center. In the rare occasion that a hotfix isn't supported (usually because of it being a non-standard package or requiring a special installation procedure), it is integrated instead. HFSLIP leaves these uncommon hotfixes or updates as they are and places them in the SVCPACK folder, to be installed automatically near the end of Windows setup.

from another source
In essence, slipstreaming means to "integrate the Service Pack into the Windows installation CD so that every new installation the Operating System will also include the Service Pack.
would it also help (... or it doesn't matter ;) ) if svcpack installation vs run once is touched?

CONFUSING??? :P he! he!

Edited by Kiki Burgh